Rock Flower Anemone Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up this guy at the LFS yesterday. Was told it is a rock flower anemone. Brought it home and placed it on a rock about 20% up from the bottom of the tank. Turned the power heads off so that he hopefully would use his feet and make a permanent home there. Came home 3 hours later and he was on the bottom. So I decided if that's where he is happy then I'm cool with that. Turned the power heads back on and they flipped him almost over on his lid. First of all id please? Second of all what should I do? This thing is so light weight and almost floats. I need to turn the wave makers back on eventually. This morning before the lights came on, I decided to move him back to the rock I placed him on last night. He has not moved today but doesn't look any better yet. Is it just a matter of giving him time?
jg5wmo.jpg

vmzrqq.jpg

That's an rfa but to help beyond that need some info from you. Tank age, params, lighting, acclimation method?

90 Gallon Tank been set up since April 1
Current Marine USA LED

Measure Salinity​
1.024​
Measure Calcium​
465​
Measure Alkalinity​
3.4​
Measure Magnesium​
1160​
Measure Phosphate​
0.04​

nitrates are 5
pH 8.1
Temp 79.4

I got him yesterday afternoon, coral dip using coral rx for 8 minutes then dipped in tank water, then set him in the tank like the rest of my corals.

A nem is not a coral and needs a long acclimation like any other invert. I would say this is the problem here, it's hard to know if it will recover...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think that things are hopeless here, but I just think this is an example of poor acclimation. Though, you never mentioned what type of lighting is over the tank, along with tank size?

Few things I see, lighting isn't strong enough , tanks still to young for a nem, and probably wasn't acclimated correctly. The current USA lights are pretty much maxed out at softies, and nems do much better in a mature tank (1 year or so).

well, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best I guess.

Rock anemone are one of the hardiest and anemones out there. they don't need a lot of lighting and they do good with a piece of meaty krill or something to supplement their food once every week or so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom