Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #261
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand dollar View Post
Yay!! pic, pic, pic!

$10 each! Where did you find those? When do you get them? I want pics ASAP!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
their coming today and of coarse I'll get some picts

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:39 AM   #262
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Rock flower anemones

Ok I have to ask you guys for some tips here. I've had a rock flower anemone sense Black Friday last year. It's pretty small actually at about the size of a nickel. It really doesn't seem to be doing well at all..it just seems to be existing. I've had it in the crevice of a small piece of rock this whole time and haven't really tried to feed it much. It gets full light exposure and is just off the sand bed. To me it doesn't seem healthy or growing anymore.

I just started semi broadcasting semi spot feeding corals with reef chili. I've been spot feeding different corals each time. Should I spot feed the anemone more? Maybe drop a mysis on it once a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #263
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beej, i would definitely try the mysis and make sure it grabs some into its tenacles. I gently release some mysis right over top of mine using a pipette.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #264
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Autumn, Is that pompom crab in your sump?

No the little "flower" Pom guy is in the main tank, with the Chaeto (he happened to be on the Codium this morning). My light was broken for the refugium and I have been looking for a replacement for when I switch the tanks, so I moved the Chaeto into the main area to get light, where it has been MUCH happier! The Chaeto got light with the clamp light but not when I swtiched to the Fluval Nano Marine light, almost none.

Everything in the tank looks pretty good. The RFA was wide open and the Sexy Shrimp have been right in there (at least one and they all look alike so I can't yet tell the difference) every day!

The Sexy Shrimp, I thought would irritate the RFA, but it stays wide open and doesn't seem bothered by it.

The Hermit Crabs also walk around on it so I might need to rehome the bigger one which gets into everything. Maybe just get the little Hermits and as they grow up give them to a friend with a big tank and big other critters.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have always liked the pompom crab but have not had any luck in keeping them in my tank. I havent tried them in a while so maybe i will give it another go. The sexy shrimps are nice to. They both have very nice markings. Hope you find a nice light for your fuge. I have gotten some nice small but powerful lights off of Amazon.

My RFA's are doing really good also. I really love them. They are so pretty. Good luck finding a light

Old 05-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #266
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey guys. I recently took on a reef tank for the first time pretty recently my tank is freshly cycled with live rock and has had 6 yellow tip hermits in it for the past week or so. Im interested in Rock flower anemones and wonder if I might be able to keep one. How mature would you say a tank should be before adding one?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:18 AM   #267
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I had some after about 3-6 months.

The feeding thing is that you don't have to, but I saw decline in mine when I didn't - maybe a correlation, maybe a tank issue.

I am planning on making sure I get some food for the filter feeders in the tank, I have been reading about how some critters like filter feeders only eat specific size particles of foods (Electric Flame Scallops specifically).

This was in response from the trying to get certain live pods for my little tank and most stores only having Tigger Pods (if any at all). Nems kinda grab what they can get. Not really a filter feeder but similar foods. I also recently read that the RFA will take in pods to eat. Don't really know yet.

The one huge, really frilly white pink one I used to have seemed like it was filtering to get things with all it's fringe.

I had some with the live rock and sand from several months on.

Also Dallas, check the Petco off Colorado & I25 each week. A few months ago they had some. $14.99

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:25 AM   #268
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Hey guys. I recently took on a reef tank for the first time pretty recently my tank is freshly cycled with live rock and has had 6 yellow tip hermits in it for the past week or so. Im interested in Rock flower anemones and wonder if I might be able to keep one. How mature would you say a tank should be before adding one?
I know with regular anemones you are suppose to wait at least 1 year before adding them. They like a well established tank. Im not sure if that is the same for rock flower anemones.

Maybe Sand dollar can chime im and give some advise on this. She has a lot of experience with rfa's.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Rock flower anemones

In my experience RFAs are a little more forgiving than BTAs and other anemones. I think you may still want to give it at least 4-6 months if this is your first tank. If you are planning to add fish then I'd probably add those first and get your feeding and water change routine established. They do not like high nitrates so you want to make sure you are able to keep those in check. Once you've had fish for a while and able to keep some corals healthy then you'd be ready. I don't know if you've researched much about anemones but it's important to know that if they die in the tank they can pollute the rest of the tank, so you really don't want to add one while you are learning about all the water chemistry stuff. BUT all that said, they are overall very hardy! I have lost two, but I don't think either were healthy when I got them. Neither ever accepted food. Also, what lighting do you have? They are not as high light demanding as others but still need good lighting.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #270
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand dollar View Post
In my experience RFAs are a little more forgiving than BTAs and other anemones. I think you may still want to give it at least 4-6 months if this is your first tank. If you are planning to add fish then I'd probably add those first and get your feeding and water change routine established. They do not like high nitrates so you want to make sure you are able to keep those in check. Once you've had fish for a while and able to keep some corals healthy then you'd be ready. I don't know if you've researched much about anemones but it's important to know that if they die in the tank they can pollute the rest of the tank, so you really don't want to add one while you are learning about all the water chemistry stuff. BUT all that said, they are overall very hardy! I have lost two, but I don't think either were healthy when I got them. Neither ever accepted food. Also, what lighting do you have? They are not as high light demanding as others but still need good lighting.

I've got a handy AI Prime fixture. Thing is awesome! Being able to manage settings and timing on my phone has been a huge plus. Yeah, I am definitely planning on getting fish in and maybe a few hardy beginner corals first before I even attempt a nem. Sounds like these guys are the way to go though for a saltwater noob's first anemone though based off what I've read. Autumnsky, Ill be sure to check that Petco, its just a few minutes from my school so Ill have to check it out after practice one day.

Tags
anemone, anemones, flow, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com