Rock flower anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow thats so cool sand dollar hope u get baby nems

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Me too!! It's felt like a long time waiting!! The bad thing is I was on track to move the nems to my small display tank in a few weeks. Not sure if I should still do that or wait to see if they have babies where they are. I don't want to disturb or upset them, but I really want a better tank for them where I can see them more often. As I watched I saw another nem spawn, it was my largest and I thought it was a female for sure, but apparently not! Here's a pic, he is at the top of the tank on the glass so you can't get a good view of him but he is definitely spawning..not the brown stuff they spit out from eating!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is really neat. Here several years ago we had a member buy an anemone and while it was in the bag about a dozen smaller anemones started floating around in there, all smaller than a dime. Was really neat.

Another one spawned tonight! the red one in the front...the red one behind it is my known female, not sure what the green one is. Hope it's female because now I have 3 known males, 1 female, 1 unknown, and 1 too small to breed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Another one spawned tonight! the red one in the front...the red one behind it is my known female, not sure what the green one is. Hope it's female because now I have 3 known males, 1 female, 1 unknown, and 1 too small to breed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's awesome!

I know y'all are probably tired of me posting, but I have another update!! Weird things happening.

Also found out last night the green one is a male. I have just one female currently ready to make baby nems. I looked in on them today and the female has tiny "things" (looks like eggs) moving around inside her disc and into some tentacles...I'm hoping this is some part of the breeding process. Anyone ever see this in a RFA before? Should I be excited or concerned!? Tons of them and the males don't have them.

Yeah that should be right. Next stage would be free swimming larvae. Then it would plant into a 'polyp' before settling and developing into a juvenile anemone.

That is awesome Sand dollar. Congrats on the new babies. Cant wait to see the little nems on their journey to adulthood. Keep the pictures coming. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make sure not to forget safeguarding the filter intake from new babies!
. Yes!! This tank was set up expecting babies so I have a breeder screen/tank devider between the nems and the filter. Hope it works, if they are small enough to fit through then they probably wouldn't survive anyway.

That is awesome Sand dollar. Congrats on the new babies. Cant wait to see the little nems on their journey to adulthood. Keep the pictures coming. :)

Thanks! I hope I'm not getting excited for nothing. I hear they can be sensitive and release early if disturbed with sudden changes. Will try to keep water stable while also feeding well to help support mama and babies!! Here's a short video, you can see hundreds of these "eggs" moving around in her, if you look at the tentacles on the left and top you can see some are crammed full of eggs. Unbelievable, I don't expect all or even most to make it to baby nem phase but even a small percentage of this would yield awesome results!!

Apparently the video didn't upload correctly, I will have to figure that out.

Do more frequent but less % pwc to keep the water good but not change parameters (you probably already know that!). I am almost holding my breath for these little guys!!! What a very exciting thing to see.

How about checking on Shirakura - 'Chi Ebi' baby shrimp food. I don't really know any other smaller foods and trying spot feeding when they move from the mom, if that would help them grow...or do they just need light?

. Yes!! This tank was set up expecting babies so I have a breeder screen/tank devider between the nems and the filter. Hope it works, if they are small enough to fit through then they probably wouldn't survive anyway.

Thanks! I hope I'm not getting excited for nothing. I hear they can be sensitive and release early if disturbed with sudden changes. Will try to keep water stable while also feeding well to help support mama and babies!! Here's a short video, you can see hundreds of these "eggs" moving around in her, if you look at the tentacles on the left and top you can see some are crammed full of eggs. Unbelievable, I don't expect all or even most to make it to baby nem phase but even a small percentage of this would yield awesome results!!

The video did work. You have to click on follow link and it will take you to photobucket to play the video.

Nice video to. The nems are beautiful but I really could'nt see the babies. I guess they are to small at this stage. Good luck with them anyways. I hope you get a lot of survivors. That has to be awesome to watch the spawning and watching the nabies grow up.

I am having one of these delivered tomorrow (see the link in my sig and go to page 7 for a pic of it). I don't have time right now to read this entire thread (sneaking a peak at work), but want to know what you guys are feeding your RFAs, and how often.

I am thinking about setting up a RFA tank, what size tank is best and what equipment would i need?

Back
Top Bottom