Rock flower anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am thinking about setting up a RFA tank, what size tank is best and what equipment would i need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can make an rfa garden out of pretty much any size tank, but something with more floor space would allow for the most nems. Most Rfas like to be where your rocks and sand meet ime so something like a 20 long would be a great option. As far as equipment, pretty standard just need a decent light, they are possibly the lowest light requiring Nem they are still nems

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just purchase a 3 pack to put in my 29 gallon. So excited to get them.

Attachments

• 1457381965499.jpg
    1457381965499.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 92
Just purchase a 3 pack to put in my 29 gallon. So excited to get them.

Those do look bright!! Great score!! As far as setting up a RFA tank, your 20 would be great. If you want them to breed, then I've heard not to have a skimmer. I have mine on timer to shut off the pump and power head when the lights go at night out for about an hour. That seems to be when they spawn and this will allow the spawn to stay more concentrated in the tank for the females to ingest. You also want to have some kind of screen/barrier to keep the babies out of the pump and power head and not have a lot of caves for them to go hide in because they need to be fed as babies.

Those do look bright!! Great score!! As far as setting up a RFA tank, your 20 would be great. If you want them to breed, then I've heard not to have a skimmer. I have mine on timer to shut off the pump and power head when the lights go at night out for about an hour. That seems to be when they spawn and this will allow the spawn to stay more concentrated in the tank for the females to ingest. You also want to have some kind of screen/barrier to keep the babies out of the pump and power head and not have a lot of caves for them to go hide in because they need to be fed as babies.

Thanks Sand dollar. I appreciate you sharing your experience. It must be very exciting watching them spawn and seeing all the little babies. :)

Where do you buy yours from Sand dollar?

One of my small local LFS, he was going to sell online but I don't think he has it up and running yet. He had babies in his tank last fall, but unfortunately I am not his only customer interested in breeding and studying them so I missed out that. I went in last week and he sad he would have some ultras in two weeks so I will be checking back!! His are great sizes and very heathy usually, $60 for ultra (like VIP QUALITY ultra) , 30-40 for red 20-30 green and 10-15 for zebra or brown.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do more frequent but less % pwc to keep the water good but not change parameters (you probably already know that!). I am almost holding my breath for these little guys!!! What a very exciting thing to see.

How about checking on Shirakura - 'Chi Ebi' baby shrimp food. I don't really know any other smaller foods and trying spot feeding when they move from the mom, if that would help them grow...or do they just need light?

Don't know how I missed this reply earlier but very good suggestion, I will definitely try 2-3 small % water changes a week rather than one large. I'm holding my breath too!

One of my small local LFS, he was going to sell online but I don't think he has it up and running yet. He had babies in his tank last fall, but unfortunately I am not his only customer interested in breeding and studying them so I missed out that. I went in last week and he sad he would have some ultras in two weeks so I will be checking back!! His are great sizes and very heathy usually, $60 for ultra (like VIP QUALITY ultra) , 30-40 for red 20-30 green and 10-15 for zebra or brown.

You are lucky to haveca local place that sells them. I have to buy online because no local stores sell them that i know of. I can check with one place that i go to to see if he can order them special. Maybe i will get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom