Rock flower anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Rock flower anemones (RFAs) have recently come to my attention, and really, just wow! I want to start a thread of appreciation and sharing of knowledge about keeping these amazing creatures. Currently I have two, both I bought locally this week from different stores. Pretty sure the second one released babies as I was placing her in the tank today. Below are pics of my rock flower nems and one of the babies I found. Please share any advice /experience you've had on keeping them happy. If there is already a thread on this please point me in the right direction, I tried a search and came up dry. If my baby nems make it I'll definitely post progress updates!
Mama nem
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429329174.890743.jpg
Other new nem - yellow
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429329658.979389.jpg
Itty bitty baby nem
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429329719.923946.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've tried to hand feed my yellow one all week and it never seems interested, it's mouth puffs up a little but it never grabs the food or closes up around it. I fed my red one today and she all but snatched my fingers off with the food and gobbled up very fast ?. My yellow one overall doesn't seem as healthy. It's not sticky, doesn't puff up as much, isn't as active (responsive, opening and closing), and it settled in a very shaded spot. I've left the pump off and a piece of food on it. It seems like it wants to eat but doesn't have the energy. I keep having to scare off a bristle worm who's trying to snatch the food. I hope it comes around. I've read they should eat 1-3 times a week, anyone else have experience?

In other news, I found another baby! This one is nice and protected under mama where it belongs. One of the babies that was attached to the rock is gone but the other is still there. I also found one in the sand bed near that rock, so maybe it jumped down. So, I have three babies total I'm watching to see if they grow and will be looking for others to hopefully pop up. They should be easier to spot after they get colors, 6 weeks or so. Fingers crossed!!

Here's an interesting write up about a RFA breeding center.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2012/08/27/ugly-duckling-anemones-in-a-new-light/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This just furthers my frustration to want saltwater.... That's some beautiful nems.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Exciting day in my tank for the rock flowers. I found more of the baby nems. I decided to make a nursery for the ones in the sand in a small container so they wouldn't get buried and I could easily target feed. I found another baby in the rock, so 2 on the rocks and 3 in the nursery now!

Original baby looking a bit bigger than a week ago...a few more weeks and maybe I'll start seeing their colors.

My yellow one finally ate a decent piece of shrimp and is looking happier than it has since I brought it home a couple weeks ago.

And a pic of the red one and her shrimp for fun.

Congrats on the babies Sand Dollar! Here is one that I used to have along with my Mini-Maxi that I currently have. :)

GKopMzR.jpg

QlzYKW0.jpg

This was my first lucky purchase for ~7. included a discount.

First pic
60074-albums14227-picture68716.jpg

Beauty shot in the new 35G!
60074-albums13960-picture68798.jpg

New pic of it getting ready to move!

60074-albums13960-picture68799.jpg

Here is the ~8 not too pretty but still I like it.
this pic is after it fell into the tank. It was stuck on the bag after acclimating and this was its first pic where it fell in and almost immediately started to open but I moved it back into a little indentation in the rock to the lower right and it has stayed there since!

60074-albums13960-picture68797.jpg

Looks like a rock, lol
60074-albums14227-picture68786.jpg

Waiting on 4 more from 2-3 different stores. I can't afford the expensive $60-90 (or more) ones.

Last edited:
Paul, love that neon maxi mini, it really pops!

Autumn, your white one is beautiful, I love how frilly it is. Your second one looks a lot like my first one and $8 is a great price!! They charged me $20. Can't wait to see what else you get!

I can't find two of the babies that were in the nursery, I had a bigger dish in there that the snails were getting in so they may have hitched a ride out. I move the remaining one to a smaller jar and the two on the rocks are doing well so far. Hope the others pop up somewhere but 3 babies is still exciting. I can't wait to see what colors they turn out to be.

Thanks Sand Dollar! I got it really cheap too. I think $20. They don't get near as big as the rock flowers that why I went with them instead. The outer fringe of our is super bright! The middle is actually more white. Looked pink from above for some reason. Here it is in its new alot where it had stayed for a while. I plan to get a couple more whenever I find some. I won't get it if it's dull. My tank real estate is to precious to me!

VzP1nSr.jpg

Paul. The lfs wanted about 80 for one similar to yours but plain red not neon red ring!!! 80.

Sand dollar hope you find the babies. So cute... and valuable!

Yes I will get several more frilly ones even if they are same to similar color for my 35g I just did. There will not be too strong of light in there. I have to call the last fish store to see if they came in. Otherwise I will be checking several more Tuesday when I go for a fish store tour around Denver - couple stores new to me.

Paul. The lfs wanted about 80 for one similar to yours but plain red not neon red ring!!! 80.
Yea that sounds like a rip off! I do want a red or pink one though. I'm not paying that for it. Red does see to be high priced for most all nems though.

My lfs guy called and let me know there are 4 he got 2 sound nice but he is closed tomorrow when I would have been rolling through town.

A pink green orange (or purple can't recall)
a brown grey green and white
a green and white one
and a pink and green maybe might have some colors mixed up,
2 sounded pretty good.

I told him I would buy the 3 color one and maybe the pink green one but they are 29.99. Not 20. As I am picking up a ton of other stuff this week, my budget is deflated. He said it was because it had been awhile since he had ordered any, so the price went up.

I got recommended to try one of these for my 10g nano (still cycling). I can handle the lighting and flow. Where does it like placement and how much flow does it prefer?

Caleb

You may want to wait several months after the cycle before a nem. You'll want to have a mature and stable tank since they can be more sensitive, but rock flowers are supposed to be on the easier and more forgiving side once you are ready so would be a good one. They usually prefer around the base of the rock, but will find their own spot if not happy. Mine like a little flow but not blasting on them directly.

You may want to wait several months after the cycle before a nem. You'll want to have a mature and stable tank since they can be more sensitive, but rock flowers are supposed to be on the easier and more forgiving side once you are ready so would be a good one. They usually prefer around the base of the rock, but will find their own spot if not happy. Mine like a little flow but not blasting on them directly.

Thanks sand dollar. I've done my homework about adding corals I just wanted to know someone with first hand experience how they like their positioning.

Caleb

If they don't like it, unlike corals, they just move. But that in itself can be a real problem. But you've chosen one of the easier ones to deal with.

Thanks sand dollar. I've done my homework about adding corals I just wanted to know someone with first hand experience how they like their positioning.

Caleb

Good deal! I wasn't trying to be bossy ?. The waiting game is hard and it's always fun and GOOD to think ahead and plan and hear about other's experience. I'm playing the waiting game now for an upgrade and/or upgraded lighting. I'm dying for a clam but my lighting won't support it ? Post pics of your RFA when you get one, I totally love mine!

Good deal! I wasn't trying to be bossy ?. The waiting game is hard and it's always fun and GOOD to think ahead and plan and hear about other's experience. I'm playing the waiting game now for an upgrade and/or upgraded lighting. I'm dying for a clam but my lighting won't support it ? Post pics of your RFA when you get one, I totally love mine!

It will be a few months lol but I will!

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom