Rock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have been trying to kill the little aiptasias on my rocks and I have the stuff to kill them but they always come back I'm moving in a month and was wondering is I could dry my rock or something like that too kill that stuff also what all will that kill and what's the best ways to do this
Thanks

Peppermint shrimp like to eat small aptaisia. for the larger ones you can treat with lemon juice. Just be careful, aptaisa can grow from the smallest chunk left over from its former body.

Ok so you don't think I should dry my rocks or any of that

Again, that will kill ALL life in the rocks, not just the aiptasia. How bad is the infestation? Just a few, or lots? Are they in deep crevices?

If you have aiptasia that are in a crevice, one thing I've heard of is to completely cover them with superglue gel. It won't affect water chemistry, and you can completely seal it in and that will kill it. Juicing is only effective if you are able to kill the entire anemone. Even one cell left intact will regrow.

Well it's starting to get a lot and it would be no big deal to start over cause I want to redo my rock scape and use the rods and make it how I want it but can I do that with wet rocks

Best method that's worked for me is to use a lighter and burn it. A soldering iron works great as well.

If you want to start over and have no bb then go with cooking the rock. But I'd seed it with a few pieces of live rock and live sand when you set it up again.

That's what I'm going to do use my sand and my corals have a pice or 2of live rock so yea and what's cooking it mean

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/330445/cooking-live-rock
Check that out. It's recharging your live rock. But in your case I'd soak it in fresh water for a little first or let it dry out to kill everything if that's what you really want. I like using dry rock because it's cheap and you can build your own setup basically. Just as long as you cook it first to get all the dust and crap off first.

Yea I mean I don't want to dry it I was just thinking it will be better and easer and is there a video of thisn

If you wanna save bacteria wrap rocks in newspaper and then dip it in saltwater. That's how most places ship LR

I wanna save bacteria but want to kill every thing elts I mean it would be nice to keep the nice purple algae

I'm not sure about that except for drying it up or a bit. You could do that and seed it with some base rock (base rock has a smaller chance of having thoes unwanted pests)

Back
Top Bottom