Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tyvm, I know it's so called live rock. They keep the rock in water. I had thought you needed live rock. I think that is all this store carries. I will have to check it out. How much live rock does one need in a tank. 90 gallon
thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good live rock can make all the difference in your tank. I have 2 fish stores that I go to. One is 10 minutes away and their live rock is terrible, the only life on it is apistasia and bristle worms. The other store is 45 minutes away and their live rock is teeming with life, the rock has multiple corals, sponges, different colors of coralline algae, too much to list, and both stores sell it for 6.99/lb. I've seen many pics of people's tank with live rock that just doesn't seem to have much "live" too it. So live rock is worth it if you get good stuff, so shop around, see what other people got from certain places. Most of the stuff you won't see in the store, and you probably won't see until its been in a stable tank for a couple weeks.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you for the info. Their live rock doesn't seem to have anything living in it or on it. A few had some red aglae on it. The kind I would not want in my tank. It seems like it doesn't have as you say much life. Only store around for about 100 miles. Wish they where better. Again thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's an example of the difference in live rock. This piece is from the store that's 10 minutes away, it has a little bit of purple coralline algae, the two white rocks on there I added to put frags on.

Attachment 95425

Here's live rock from the other store that's 45minutes away. I added the green acropora on top, but the golf ball looking montipora was on the rock already. These pics don't do this rock justice, it's on of my favorite items in my aquarium.

Attachment 95427
Old 05-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

this is one of AA s sponsored vendors

Saltwater Aquarium Fiji Dry Live Rock / Eco Rox | Bulk Reef Supply - English

Tags
question, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com