Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Rock Question, Please Help Me Out

Hi all, we use to have a big koi pond. We have a lot of rocks, flat and rounded. Some are Tennessee flat rocks. I was thinking of taking the flat rocks and making a stacked, somewhat stacked area of rocks. I have been soaking the rocks in hot water and changing the water out. Though of putting the rocks in the dishwasher, no detergent of course and just running hot water over it. Also letting the drier of the dishwasher heat up to dry the rocks and kill anything. I didn't want to soak in small solution of bleach. Because I do not want to have any issues with bleach or chemicals in my tank.

So what or how is the best way to soak and clean my rocks. I have so much rocks, and I am picking and choosing them. Please help me out. I cannot just keep on buying so called live rocks from the store. Thanks for your help
Lynda

Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can you clarify are these rocks for a koi pond FW tank SW tank or what?

I have always used bleach and hot water to clean and soak my rock. Let it sit for 24hours then dump fill with water and use alot of prime repeat a few times and rocks are clean.

As for buying live rock for your LFS you shouldn't be cleaning it as the water will kill the "live" part of the rock. Leaving you with some expensive rock.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't use that rock. No matter how well you rinse it, it could always leach unwanteds into the tank.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #4

Talking

HI thanks for the response. One says use but clean really good and another says don't use. So what should I do. Use or not use. Why use a lot of prime??

What I have is a salt water tank and I want to stack some rocks. I guess I can just go and buy rocks at the pet store. To me that is kind of stupid, but hey if that is the way to go or is the best, guess I will use their rocks. I did hear of people using river rock and other rocks in their fish tanks, so thought I would do that. The rocks I have thought of using was around my koi pond.. So it has no chemicals or anything that one might spray in a garden. No sprays where allowed around my fish pond, didn't want to kill the koi. So ok, what is the vote, yes use, clean well or not use. HELP lol
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldn't use those rock for a saltwater tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the rock used for SW live rock is very porous and help with the SW ecology. Also many saltwater inhabitants are more sensitive than FW beings. So I would stay away from any rocks that could possibly leach toxins and harm your tank.

As for prime it's the most effective declorinator in my opinion. And since bleach is basically super concentrated chlorine it works well to rid the rock of chlorine.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I imagine the rock you are talking about being pretty smooth and flat. As was said the more porous the rock the better, more surface are to act as the biological filter. As for chemicals or or toxins leaching into the tank I don't know.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with the last two statements. Don't do it! Also is this a new set up or is it and established tank?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I agree with the above posters.

You want porous, holey rock for a salt tank, that kind of rock won't really be a good fit anyways even without the possibility of leeching. You can get base rock appropriate for a salt tank for about $2.3 a lb or less even. In my opinion it's juts not worth the risk.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #9

Hi went to search out rocks at store. OMG almost $8 a pd. Not sure where you can find rocks for $2.3 as was told to me before. I would spend more on rocks than on fish LOL. some of the larger rocks, are about $50. I can't believe rock is that expensive. wow. Any ideas on rocks. Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Fish R friends, not food!

Sounds like you are getting live rock and not base rock. Live is way more expensive. Up to $12/lb in some places. You dont need live.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com