Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Rocks on back glass OK?

I'm about to re-arrange my tank. Gonna pull a yellow (agressive) tang out to QT and add my Yellow eye kole, currently in QT. Besides. I'd like to re-do the space for coral expansion. Trying to create nice ledges for'm and sand space.

I'd like to stack the rocks a little higher and interlock'm in a way that most likely would lean them against the back wall. Will create swim thru areas to the back in some spaces, but would like to do away with a swim thru area across the enitre back like I've got now. Oh yeah. Can't move the one rock that my pistol shrimp and watchman goby live under, but all else is fair game.

See any problems leaning rocks (securely) on the back wall?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
See any problems leaning rocks (securely) on the back wall?
This way doesn't lend itself to good water circulation on the back glass behind those rocks. Plus you won't be able to clean it.

That said, this is what I did with my tank since it was a tall. I have space around the front, left, and right sides of the tank. The back is used as a backboard and some of the rocks are leaning on it.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

My return pipe seems to creat a deceent water flow around the back wall. I figure with strategic rock placement, I could get some flow to deflect downwards. Not much, but some. In this 10 month old tank, I have no crud on the back wall at all. Just the little white spots everyone gets anyway. I've never cleaned it - or had to.

Biggen, sounds like you're saying I should go for the new rock placement as I described - and kinda like yours are? With not too many against the wall, but some being OK?

Thanks.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 10-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Biggen, sounds like you're saying I should go for the new rock placement as I described - and kinda like yours are? With not too many against the wall, but some being OK?
Yup. I don't think you will have a problem. If you can figure out a way to get some water flow back there that would be even better.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have always had the rock leaning against the back glass. Ofcourse I have 6-7 PH's worked through out the rock to keep it moving.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I got no problems with rock on my back glass. I don't clean it, I want it to be one solid sheet of coraline !
Old 10-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks folks! I'm gonna go for it. Of course, having the yellow tang be able to deal with the new kole, by having his home court advantage removed is imperative, but I'm really anxious to set up a more coral friendly tank and have more places to put'm.

Welcome back Squishyfish!

Old 10-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! Feels good to be back in the family!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com