rocks please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradtermolen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a tank with only live rock in it ...... i have some rocks from out side that i boild and had in a cichlid tank for over a month would that be safe to put in a live rock salt whater tank .. the rocks are a basice rock u would find out side they are white

Hi there pal i myself wouldnt put any other type of rock other than lr and sheels etc reason being that everything in a sw tank is more sensitive to ph nitrate nitrite etc as you probely know i know of some rocks you buy outa the lfs can raise ph but would wait and get more advice from the pro's on the site good luck ......

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Yea well they should be ok then if there well boiled as i say maybe wait and get a bit more advice just incase you know pal ........

have you ever treated the cichlid tank for ich with copper based meds? if so, i would not use that rock.

no i have not my cichlids are vary heathy and have never been sick at all
i just did not know if the rocks would ness with the salt water tank as far a water goes

well, it's impossible to say if they will leach heavy metals into the aquarium or not. i don't know what the rocks are made of.

If you have a qt tank maybe try them in it first and test the water after a few days for copper and heavy metals etc like mr x sugested ......

The biggest point of putting rocks into the SW tank is to help breed bacteria. The best rocks for this are ones that are very porous (have a lot of holes) for the bacteria to grow.

What kind of rock is it that you have? Is it like the above? From what you said it is ordinary rock from outside so I'm guessing not.

There is a test you can do with the rock but I can't remember what it is. Something like putting some liquid on the rock and seeing if it bubbles. If it does then you shouldn't add it.

Are using LR or a canister filter its like smithy said bacteria if the rock is porus you might have to much and problems will start pretty quickly i guess i would stick with the LR only it's to expensive to risk just for a few rocks LR will look better when it matures do you agree ......

Back
Top Bottom