Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz View Post

I run a 6 stage and love it!! Two DI chambers, two carbon chambers, one sediment chamber and then the membrane.

This is the unit I own.

http://www.watergeneral.com/product01.aspx
What one? There's two on that link.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When compared to the RD-102, based on the link the RD-106 comes with a 4gal pressure tank (and the photo displays one less DI resin stage, though the write up depicts two).

Optimally, (excluding the RO membrane housing) you'll want to go with all vertical housings to avoid any potential media by-pass (the DI stages in the watergeneral link have horizontal DI stages). The vertical housings also hold a greater resin capacity (visually it appears that one vertical DI housing holds more resin that two horizontal DI housings).

Just going by the ratings that are listed on their link I would go with a unit that has a RO membrane with a higher rejection rate. They list rejection rates of 95%-97%.

The BRS unit that dimdim referenced is equipped with a 75gpd Dow Filmtec membrane which offers a 98% rejection rating which out-performs the watergeneral units. (From what I understand, higher gpd results in lower rejection rates).

I personally use an Ultra-High Rejection Spectrapure membrane which rejection over 99% of the TDS from my tap water (tap water 259ppm, RO water 1ppm, RO/DI water 0ppm).

The water general dual DI stages will still provide 0ppm RO/DI water product water, however the lower rejection rates offered combined with lower resin capacity will result in a higher rate of DI resin expenditure.

For a unit approximately costing $150 I'd go with any of these three:

5-stage $160 RO/DI unit from TheFilterGuys:
RO/DI Systems

5-stage $159.99 RO/DI unit from BRS:
BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

5-stage $169.99 RO/DI unit from PurelyH2O:
http://purelyh2o.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=64

(the Filter Guys & BRS 5 stage unit comes with 2 carbon blocks, while the Purely H2O 5 stage unit comes with 2 vertical DI stages). For water containing high chlorine or chloramine levels you may want to go with dual carbon blocks over dual DI stages.

Whatever unit you go with, for the most part they're interchangeable when it comes time to replace filters or membranes (if the housing are of the same horizontal/vertical orientation). Membrane change outs (if going from a 100gpd to a 75gpd as an example, may require a flow restrictor change out).

Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay-bee19 View Post
When compared to the RD-102, based on the link the RD-106 comes with a 4gal pressure tank (and the photo displays one less DI resin stage, though the write up depicts two).

Optimally, (excluding the RO membrane housing) you'll want to go with all vertical housings to avoid any potential media by-pass (the DI stages in the watergeneral link have horizontal DI stages). The vertical housings also hold a greater resin capacity (visually it appears that one vertical DI housing holds more resin that two horizontal DI housings).

Just going by the ratings that are listed on their link I would go with a unit that has a RO membrane with a higher rejection rate. They list rejection rates of 95%-97%.

The BRS unit that dimdim referenced is equipped with a 75gpd Dow Filmtec membrane which offers a 98% rejection rating which out-performs the watergeneral units. (From what I understand, higher gpd results in lower rejection rates).

I personally use an Ultra-High Rejection Spectrapure membrane which rejection over 99% of the TDS from my tap water (tap water 259ppm, RO water 1ppm, RO/DI water 0ppm).

The water general dual DI stages will still provide 0ppm RO/DI water product water, however the lower rejection rates offered combined with lower resin capacity will result in a higher rate of DI resin expenditure.

For a unit approximately costing $150 I'd go with any of these three:

5-stage $160 RO/DI unit from TheFilterGuys:
RO/DI Systems

5-stage $159.99 RO/DI unit from BRS:
BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

5-stage $169.99 RO/DI unit from PurelyH2O:
http://purelyh2o.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=64

(the Filter Guys & BRS 5 stage unit comes with 2 carbon blocks, while the Purely H2O 5 stage unit comes with 2 vertical DI stages). For water containing high chlorine or chloramine levels you may want to go with dual carbon blocks over dual DI stages.

Whatever unit you go with, for the most part they're interchangeable when it comes time to replace filters or membranes (if the housing are of the same horizontal/vertical orientation). Membrane change outs (if going from a 100gpd to a 75gpd as an example, may require a flow restrictor change out).
Wow your so helpful!! Thanks for the thought on chlorine too as I'm on city water with lots of it!!

Tags
rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com