RODI system, was it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a 5 stage BRS chloramine unit yesterday and am a little skeptical about if it is gonna be worth the 245$ we payed.

Don't know if you specifically needed the chloramine unit, but having your own RODI system will definitely pay for itself not only in the cost of the water, but also the gas required to go get water and just the sheer convenience of being able to make it yourself......
It's easy to get buyer's remorse on a large purchase, but this is one I think you'll get over... ;)

Last edited:
Don't know if you specifically needed the chloramine unit, but having your own RODI system will definitely pay for itself not only in the cost of the water, but also the gas required to go get water and just the sheer convenience of being able to make it yourself......
It's easy to get buyer's remorse on a large purchase, but this is one I think you'll get over... ;)

We have chloramines in our city water

Then, IMO, you made a good purchase and will get over the cost once you realize how nice it is having your own unit......

Ok i guess i will just wait to find out, its good to know i can do a WC when ever want to lol, and it is 4$ alone to drive to the lfs

I may be wrong but I have an old RO-man with micron filter, coconut carbon and RO/di I thought that dealt with chlorine and chloramine and 99% of everything possible. It's the 75 us gal per day model it cost me £50 in a sale it has lasted for 6 years so far. My fish are alive? I'm not a reefer though just fresh and brackish at the mo.
That sounds like a monster unit with a large daily output.
Original cost was £90

One of the best aquarium related purchases I have made to date. You will love the convenience.
:)

+1 on convenience. you never know when something bad is going to happen that requires a massive water change and the lfs is not near you or closed. plus it does save you $ in the long run.

I may be wrong but I have an old RO-man with micron filter, coconut carbon and RO/di I thought that dealt with chlorine and chloramine and 99% of everything possible. It's the 75 us gal per day model it cost me £50 in a sale it has lasted for 6 years so far. My fish are alive? I'm not a reefer though just fresh and brackish at the mo. That sounds like a monster unit with a large daily output. Original cost was £90

IMO "chloramine filter" is a buzz word. But I too may be wrong.

I just did a little math, it cost 4$ to go to the lfs, 2.50$ to get 5g of RODI water and 5.00$ to get premixed SW, so one trip is 11.50$, once a week for 52 weeks in a year, and thats 598$ right there!

I got mine to reduce hardness in tap water. I thought it cost too much after only 2 year Fishkeeping. Now though, I don't need one, I want a reef. I've 8 years under my belt. Mine is really slow when it's cold, that's the price I didn't pay!

I got mine to reduce hardness in tap water. I thought it cost too much after only 2 year Fishkeeping. Now though, I don't need one, I want a reef. I've 8 years under my belt. Mine is really slow when it's cold, that's the price I didn't pay!

Good luck on your reef!

Well 1 but seting up a 2nd as we speak

So you know what you are doing with salt, that will do for me! I've been dreaming about mine for ages, I've planned a thousand different ideas. That change as new stuff comes out, led for example. It's the things you can't read about that concern me. For example, the gaseous exchange method is how I've always stocked my tanks, how does that work with a marine tank? Is it display area only or all areas able to permit gaseous exchange, sump, ref etc. this makes a big difference in my sums, I can't find anything anywhere about this?

If you are talking about gas exchange I keep open top tanks with screens on top to keep in the jumpers. This will help keep your ph stable as well.

Back
Top Bottom