RODI unit help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok and I don't know if I can hang mine. There is one leak and it's on the waste water return. Should I just plug it in when I need RoDi water bc I have an old cooler I put the system in bc of the leak then I hook it up to my sink for the day.

I agree that it's perfectly safe to drink RO water. Most of the purified water purchased in supermarkets is RO water. I also agree that a TDS meter is a must. You shouldn't own a RO unit without one. How else will you know when to change your filters?

RO isn't as purified. It's not a terrible option just the extra DI is better and pretty much guarantees you to have 0tds while the RO only will probably have a small reading. So the effect would be possible algae problems.

To really simplify:

DI is for Deionization - There are molecules that can get through your RO membrane. A DI reads to grab these ions - usually negatively charged.

These negative charged ions typically steal electrons from cells- typically bacteria - and they do not distinguish between good and bad bacteria.

Yep, Haha - you could also eat Kimchi or drink the ever more popular Kombucha!

And if all you drink is RODI - let me introduce you to this wonderful substance called beer!

Hopefully something good - If I could find a job that involved Reef Keeping, Scuba Diving, and Beer Drinking, I would be the happiest man alive.

Late to the party here, but using the waste water for your pets is perfectly safe. It would be only slightly harder than your normal tap water.

and mmmmm beer.

I just purchased my ro/di unit.. Are there any tips or tricks to hooking this up? I will be putting it in my basement.. Probably hard plumbed into my already existing piping that I'm using now for my top off water.. Is this an easy install?? Or will I need to have something readily available to throw against the wall to reduce some stress???

Ha!

Everything is relative on your handiness, but this should be straight forward. It gets exponentially more difficult if you are trying to pipe it under a sink vanity in a 2'x3' space... I threw something - but just because I hit my head.

Overall though - this is a great DIY

Just a quick pointer...you might need a pipe reducer and gate valve for your piping from a hardware store. You also have to figure out where to connect the byproduct or waste water.

I have a floor drain 10 foot from my little work station . I can just run a flex hose I've to it right? I hate to waste all that water .. Due to my towns outrageous water bill.. But ..

during summer months i have the wast water going to the sump pump area and i is pumped outside to water some of the lawn

I can't tell if my Sink pushes 35 psi that's the recommended for my unit but the clean water doesn't come out in a drip it comes out very slow?

Thanks for the info on the beer Jeez I'm only 16 HAHA

what is the gph of your unit?

Temperature of your cold water?

And are you counting how long it takes you to make a specific amount of gallons?

It makes 50 GPD and yes it takes about an hour and a half to two hours to make 5 gallons

So you are making 60-80 GPD.

I think you are right on with pressure and lucky to get such good results. I live in NYC and when it is as cold as it has been my 150GPD gives about 90GPD

Back
Top Bottom