RODI unit help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got my RODI unit an I set it up then looked for all the leaks then fixed them. Then I started it up and I'm about 8 gallons into it. It recommends running about 10 gallons of water through it so when that's done. Do you think the water will be ok. I don't have anything to test ppm I just ordered it

I would bet it would be ok after the first 10 gallons. As long as it is new and hooked up correctly. At a minimum it is still way better than tap water.

That TDS meter sure does add a sense of security

Ok thanks. And yea it's hooked up correctly. It says wast water is 3 to 1 with clean water and I checked both and flows look perfect

I would bet it would be ok after the first 10 gallons. As long as it is new and hooked up correctly. At a minimum it is still way better than tap water.

That TDS meter sure does add a sense of security

+1 10 gallons honestly is more then you would need that's just to be certain. As for the TDS meter a dual inline is pretty much a must have especially since they are only like $20-$30.

I found one on amazon for 15 would that be ok. And I'm making 5 gallons of RODI water now will it be safe to use?

Also is the waste water safe to drink because I could give it to my rotty and boxer

I drank some of the good water and then drank The straight tap and you can tell there's a big difference in taste

You shouldnt drink much ro/di water unless using it with something like tea or coffee as it is actually not very good for you but if you drink coffee make a pot with tap then make a pot with Ro/Di and you'll be amazed.

Ok. In only drank a sip. Can I use it for a water change right now I have 5 gallons

Tasting it will not be an issue - even drinking a few glasses.

The problem with drinking a lot of RODI water is that it will leak transmembrane soluble nutrients from your cells, and because insoluble nutrients stay in the cell water could rush into the cells at such an amount that it could cause lysis (cell bursting). Cells in the human body want to remain in osmotic equilibrium. So if you keep drinking too pure of water it could cause some damage. But you would need to drink quite a bit.

This is a similar reason as to why we need to slowly acclimate inverts. They are not a biologically sophisticated, and lack some of the safe guards that most vertebrates have. Rapid changes in salt concentration can be even more detrimental to them.

Much less salinity in your tank - there cells can burst with influx of water.
Much more salinity in your tank - they could shrink and shrivel.

Ok. So do you think I should use the five gallons for a water change.

if you already ran the 10 gallons and dumped it. And this is your next set - sure it is ready for either top off or mixing with your salt. Just remember RODI water does not dissolve the salt any faster.

Ok thanks now I can get rid of this algea.

I know this is off topic but I was just looking into my tank and I saw what looked to be a snail but it has no shell what is it?

put a by pass valve to your di cartage and just drink the RO water, it is perfectly safe, been drinking it for 5 years. Dont waste your money on a in line meter, they are way off as they do not have a temperature compensator in them, Buy a good meter and calibration fluid, they are very sensitive instruments and need calibrated every 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom