Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I am very happy with the unit I have. I make 32g in less then 12 hours. I am on a well and I have a very large pressure tank feeding the house. The amount of water pressure you have at the tap will dictate how quickly you make RO/DI water. Also the temp of the water plays a roll in it as well. The colder the water the slower production. It is not recomended to use hot water to run through your unit.
What brand membrane do you have? I know the Flowtec membrane's are spec'ed at 10 PSI less water pressure than all other membranes, so i'm thinking I might try a 75 GPD Flow Tec membrane..

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I have the Typhoon III 100gpd RODI unit. It uses a Filmtec membrane. I connect it when needed via a garden hose adpater to my kitchen faucet. I use it once or twice a month. It has a membrane flush valve that just runs water past the membrane to help clean it. I flush the membrane for a mniute or two before and after each use. When done I allow the pressure to drop back to zero before removing any lines. Usually the water level in the sediment cartridge falls a bit. I then store the unit till the next time I need it. I've been doing this for 4 years and still get ZERO TDS (as long as the DI lasts). My tap water still reads 185-220 tds and my RO water still reads at less than 12.

I don't think the membrane ever really dries out between use when used in this way.

As for quantitiy...I'm ready to get a booster pump. My tap water usually is around 40 -45 psi. The recommended parameters are a psi of 50 at a temp of 77 degrees.

They have a new 150gpd membrane that I am going to order. It specs at 150 gpd at 65 psi and has a 98% TDS rejection rate.

"Membranes are rated at 77 degrees temperature and 50 PSI.
For every pound of pressure less than 50 subtract 2% of the output. Example 40 PSI subtract 20% of the 75 for 60GPD
For every degree below (77) you lose production. Subtract 1.4% per degree lower than 77. Example 57 degree water is 20 degrees less than optimum. 20 x 1.25 = 25% less production. So a fifty GPD membrane will only produce 75% or about 37 gallons
Please remember:
Combine the pressure and temperature answers together and subtract them from your membrane rating. Your membrane should produce water at or very near that answer"

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
The answer I got from the guy who builds them is, most RO/DI units are not designed to be moved. The fittings can't handle the constant movement, hooking and unhooking. The RO/DI unit should be used at least 1 time per week to avoid stagnation and possible growth of bacteria in the filters.

So from what I gather the short and the long of it is hook it up somewhere and leave it and make sure to use it at least once a week.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com