Rodi Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had my SW tank set up for allmost 9 months now and have been using tap water the entire time. Now I think its about time I go ahead and get an RODI system, and this is the one Im looking at.

http://ngvi.ebay.com/vi...

Does this look good? I will admit I have no idea what to look for in an RODI system. I like this one because of its convience, I dont have anywhere to really keep it hooked up and the garden house feature seems like it will work real well for me. Also I was kinda wondering how often I have to change out the different membranes and will the ones I need for this system be easy to find ? Are any of the upgrades they have listed worth adding on? Is it set at a good price or could i do better?

Thanks in advance guys, your help is always greatly appreciated

anybody have any advice on this paticular unit? I would like to purchase it asap if its worth it.

As far as the brand I can not speak for but it is the same set up as my Maxima RO/DI unit. It should work well.

ziggy i was looking at that paticular unit but didnt notice if it could be hooked up to a garden hose. Did it come with that capability

They do offer a kit or they did offer a kit to hook it up to a garden hose. I personally would not hook mine to a garden hose. I rant a seperate CPVC line that I hooked mine up to.

Is there are reason you want to hook it up to a garden hose?

mostly because i have no where to go with it. I still live at home with my parents I just graduated college and will prob be here for another 6 months. I just want something i can bring out and use and put back away till i move out.

I'm not sure that RO/DI systems will do very well being drained and then refilled. I would think that the RO membrane specifically could be damaged from drying out. If you have a "mud" room with a utility sink you could hook it up there or even in the laundry area of your house. RO/DI units are best hooked up and then left hooked up I would have to do some reading on hooking one up and then unhooking it until it's next use. I just see problems with that.

hmmm i never thought about that, I am going to have to look into that before I buy one.

I'm not saying I'm right about that by any means but it just seems to me that it could cause damage to the RO Memebrane. I can talk to a friend of mine that builds RO/DI units and see what he has to say about it.

Ok I appreciate that. I have been trying to google something about that for that last couple mins but havent run across anything that would give me an answer to that question. The only thing I can think is why would they sell garden hose adapters if they were determintal to the unit, bc if your using a garden hose adapter I would say most likely you are hooking up and unhooking the unit up frequently.

hmmm, i have ran into a couple things on other forums where people stated that the ro membrane must stay hydrated. That if you werent going to use it for a month to put it in a zip lock bag with some rodi water to keep it wet. How hard is to remove and put back that membrane ? Also if I hooked it up with a garden hose, could i just unhook it and leave some whater in the filter then put it away for a week with the water still in it. I will use this unit weekly, worst case would be every 2 weeks. Im curious does anyone else use there rodi unit as a portable unit ?

This is the unit I have. I got it nearly 3 years ago and I have had excellent success with it.

Are you happy with your Water output?

I have a 100GPD unit with the Desel RO Membrane, and it is SLOW! I have 3 Pressure tanks now because if I wait for the Unit to make water real-time, It'll take me days to get 20 Gal of water, I end up doing 1 5gallon PWC a week because my RO is too slow..

I was thinking of downgrading to 75GPD because I have heard its more efficient!?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I am very happy with the unit I have. I make 32g in less then 12 hours. I am on a well and I have a very large pressure tank feeding the house. The amount of water pressure you have at the tap will dictate how quickly you make RO/DI water. Also the temp of the water plays a roll in it as well. The colder the water the slower production. It is not recomended to use hot water to run through your unit.

hmmm i never thought about that, I am going to have to look into that before I buy one.

Also there is the fact that RO systems are VERY SLOW, and if you are planing on making water real-time (No Pressure Storage tank) You will have to wait a LONG time. the 75GPD raiting doesn't mean you will actually get 75 GPD, there is alot that has to do with that, you'd be lucky to get 25 GPD if everything was just right.

I know they do make portable RO/DI system, You can find them on e-bay. New Portable 4st 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO Water Filter - eBay (item 120247393219 end time Apr-21-08 20:32:56 PDT)

-TheChad

Last edited:
hmmm, i have ran into a couple things on other forums where people stated that the ro membrane must stay hydrated. That if you werent going to use it for a month to put it in a zip lock bag with some rodi water to keep it wet. How hard is to remove and put back that membrane ? Also if I hooked it up with a garden hose, could i just unhook it and leave some whater in the filter then put it away for a week with the water still in it. I will use this unit weekly, worst case would be every 2 weeks. Im curious does anyone else use there rodi unit as a portable unit ?

The Pre-Filters, RO Membrane, and DI Resin all stay submerged in water unless you completely drain your system.

If you just disconnect it, and don't drain it, you should be fine I would think. But You want to make sure you have a check valve between the RO membrane and the Bad Water exit line to prevent any bad water from flowing back into the RO membrane when you disconnect your system....

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom