Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rods fish food

I've heard this has fine enough particles to feed all your corals at the same time as your fish so you don't have to have several foods

Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #2

It is several foods frozen together. It is good IF you have something to eat them all, otherwise you will inevitably be overfeeding.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbatey View Post
I've heard this has fine enough particles to feed all your corals at the same time as your fish so you don't have to have several foods
I have used rods food from the beginning. I stoped for a while cause I didn't have enough fish to eat it all. I do now and it is I feed except for some nori for my tangs. there is some in Rod's food but I like to watch the picking behavior.

It is very easy to overfeed with this stuff. I keep a couple of days worth thawed in my fridge. It only takes about 1/2 teaspoon for a feeding and I feed 2-3 times a day.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I use it as my primary food for the two feedings the tank gets per week. I add nori almost every day for the tangs.

Rod's Food now has several varieties to meet most type of tanks. I still use the Original.

Feeding more than once every other day is overfeeding, unless you have some very demanding fish. Fish can easily go a week or two without food, and will live longer on reduced caloric diet.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882

I have used rods food from the beginning. I stoped for a while cause I didn't have enough fish to eat it all. I do now and it is I feed except for some nori for my tangs. there is some in Rod's food but I like to watch the picking behavior.

It is very easy to overfeed with this stuff. I keep a couple of days worth thawed in my fridge. It only takes about 1/2 teaspoon for a feeding and I feed 2-3 times a day.
That would depend on how many fish you have I will have a yellow tang anthias chromis goby
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

How much would you recommend I feed and how many times per day
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Depending on your filtration Rod's Food can go along way and can be high in Phosphates- With that many Fish I would try to feed twice dailey especially if your going to have Anthias which require 3x a day feedings also Anthias love Fish eggs if you get any other Rod's Product Fish eggs work great...

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really like rods food. To this day i have not had a fish that wont eat it. I thinks it great!!!! But it is true alittle bit of his food goes a long way. I feed my fish 2 or 3 times daily and i alternate the foods. I give them pellets and frozen food but i have a big protien skimmer to clean up.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #9

Feeding amount and frequency will vary from tank to tank. Most fish feed constantly in the wild and eat very little at a time. This is matched in captivity by feeding many small meals each day. However, if you have fish with different food aggression levels (some eat faster and more aggressively than others) one or two individuals can dominate every meal and leave the other fish starving. Because of this in many setups it is better to feed larger meals less frequently. This lets you satiate the more aggressive feeders while still leaving enough food for the less aggressive eaters.

This is why I feed multiple sizes of pellets. I feed larger pellets first for more aggressive feeders to fill up on and be occupied with and then offer smaller pellets for the rest of the fish.

Again, you can only feed what your tank can handle. If you have enough variety in livestock and dietary needs then feed Rod's, but if something else (or a different variety of foods) better feeds your tank then use that. Using a great food isn't that great if half of it is just rotting in the tank.

Tags
fish food, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com