Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rose Bubble tip...Should I?

I have done a lot research on anemones and have concluded that they are not best suited for home aquariums. however, my LFS has four Rose Bulb-tip anenomes right now for $60 each and they look great. Here is my dilema...i do not feel good about supporting the market on a product i do not think should be for sale, I believe these animals should be left in the wild where they live well over a hundred years. However, my tank reef has been running for almost a year and a half, my water parameters are wonderful, i have educated myself on this animal. There is a small part of me that wants to "rescue" one and take care of it before someone without the proper knowledge for aquarium gets it. Since it is already harvested i might as well be the one to take care of it. Does this make sense? What does everyone think? P.S.- Hey WarOaks...they are at A Wet Pet in Apple Vally if you are interested. Thanks everyone...Lando

Old 05-21-2004, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Since it is already harvested i might as well be the one to take care of it.
Well see everyone may think this, either way you are promoting a sale. Either way if you don't buy it someone will. Unless you can stop every last person from buying it I wouldn't let it bother you. Anyways I hope you have enough light as well.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I may end up getting one tomorrow, I have to think on it tonight. Yes, i have plenty of light...6 watts/gal. Thanks Six.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #4

Cool let us know how it does!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya get one and what are you saying a good portion of fish,inverts and corals are wild
Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
ya get one and what are you saying a good portion of fish,inverts and corals are wild
I think the point Lando was making was the fact that these animals are nearly immortal in the wild. Add to that the dismal survival rate in home aquariums (somewhere around 3 months average) and you begin to see the picture. I am against harvesting any "difficult" species just to increase a store's variety or because they sell. It would seem there is a market for such animals though. You buy one; it dies. Go get another (it's so pretty); it dies. The LFS is selling them like hot cakes.
Educating yourself, buying hardy species, resisting hard to keep species, propogating your corals, buying tank raised, these are things that we as responsible hobbyists can do to promote our passion.
Good for you Lando for thinking this through. If you are concerned about increasing the demand for these animals - if only a little bit - consider tank raised bubble tips. They are available from time to time. Get one then.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks everyone, got some more thinking to do. Anemoneman...you summed it up nicely, thanks! Lando
Old 05-22-2004, 01:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just wanted to add onto what Anemoneman stated. Check your local reef club, browse the net, etc. because green and rose bubble tip anemones are cloning quite often in captivity. They are quite hardy and have less guilt that pulling one out of the ocean. Plus, if yours clone you can pass one on to another responsible reefer.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm surprised that a wet pet has them, everytime I go there, they have crappy corals in those 2 tanks that they have. Good lock with it, if you get one.

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
The fact that you have concerns about owning certain species shows that you are a caring Marine hobbiest. I say that if do have serious concerns, don't get it. A good pet owner wouldn't purchase a pet they didnt feel 100% comfortable with taken care of. If the survival rate for a particular fish or aneneome is low, wait till you find a captive raised one.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, bubble tip

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com