Rosebulb tip anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_Love_For_Cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, just have a question about my RBTA. I noticed this morning that 2 of its tentacles detached, it seems like it's still functioning tho....strange?! Anyway, my anemone itself is in perfect condition and has been in my tank for 5 months.
I also have a 4 spotted wrasse in my tank, but I know he doesn't bother it. 2 pyramid tip snails and 2 mini crabs (not sure of their actual name, but very basic for a reef tank)
So, as far as I know nothing is threatening it, in that sense. Really don't think my baby starfish or sand drifting starfish are a threat either.
Any ideas as to what this could mean?

Poor water parameters and/or lack of lighting.

You've had it 5 months. How old is the tank now?

Thanks :) checked params and pH was alittle low and there was a bit of salt build up on my light. Let's hope this helps

There is your problem. Your tank is not mature or stable enough for a nem. Minimum 10-12 months old before adding a nem. I would rehome it before it gets worse.

What lighting are you using?

If its been living in the tank for 5 months I doubt its an issue with tank maturity.

What are your parameters?

My thoughts exactly Mebbib, every parameter was spot on except for pH was a bit lower so I buffed it. Salt levels were perfect of 1.022 and temp is in normal range

My thoughts exactly Mebbib, every parameter was spot on except for pH was a bit lower so I buffed it. Salt levels were perfect of 1.022 and temp is in normal range

BTA can survive in less than stable conditions for 5 months, they can deteriorate very slowly, your tank probably isn't stable enough. Your ph was low and your specific gravity is also low, so you are not stable. What kind of lighting and a picture of the nem would be of help. A 1 month old tank is not ready for fish, alone a nem.

Sorry for the delay in response.
Nitrates are 20
Nitrites are 0
Alk is 180
pH is 7.8
Ammonia is 0
Temp is 76.4
Salinity is 1.023

My RBTA is doing much better, has moved from its original spot. No besides another piece of tentacle falling off the day after my initial post! there hasn't been anymore :)

PH is Too Low,
Raise your salinity to 1.025
Nitrates are WAYYYYY TO HIGH Get them down to >5
If you do this it may live, in its current state it will perish

I don't know, cause with my test strips it tells that those are the right levels

Your test strip doesn't care about what's in your tank. Reserch the species you want not what highly inaccurate test strips tell you. Also, go buy a quality liquid test kit. Especially if you want to keep a nem.

Full recommended parameters at:
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone | Vivid Aquariums | Buy Online

vivid aquariums said:
Lighting Requirements: Moderate to high (PAR 220-350)
Water Flow: Moderate
Aggressiveness: Aggressive
Range: Fiji, Tonga, Indo-Pacific
Family: Actiniidae
Water Conditions: 75-80° F; sg 1.024-1.026 (1.025 is ideal); pH 8.1-8.4
Ca 420-440 ppm, Alk 8-9.5 dKH, Mg 1260-1350, Nitrates <10ppm, Phosphates, < .10ppm

I follow liveaquaria for my info, and only my pH seems to be low, which I've tried stabilizing with a buffer but it didn't seem to help I guess. I'll do another dose. I've already thought of doing liquid test kits but not really sure what brand is best. Any recommendations?

I follow liveaquaria for my info, and only my pH seems to be low, which I've tried stabilizing with a buffer but it didn't seem to help I guess. I'll do another dose. I've already thought of doing liquid test kits but not really sure what brand is best. Any recommendations?

Red sea test kits are great

Vivid aquariums is a much better authority on tank parameters than live aquaria.

pH buffers have the potential to kill everything in your tank if used improperly. Raising the salinity will also raise the pH by a small amount. Also, some water changes with a proper salt mix should help. Your nitrates are also still too high.

First of all, stop dosing for ph. You are chasing a number you'll never reach and only emptying your wallet. This usually leads to more problems than it solves. I did the exact same thing, and I regret it heavily. If you want a raise in ph, point a powerhead at the surface of the water to get more oxygen into the system. Please keep in mind that ph will also remain low during winter months while our heaters are running for the same reason...only for ph to rise in the spring when we open our windows and doors.

In terms of liquid test kits, an API master test kit will suit your needs of testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. If you are interested in continuing to test for alkalinity, you should look into test kits by red sea, or even hanna checkers which are my personal favorite. They are a bit pricier, but are actually accurate and won't lead you down roads of unnecessary dosing and other such common mistakes.

Thanks to the both of you :) I was actually interested in both API and Red Sea for test kits hahaha. Right now I have Tetra test strips, once I use those up I'll be going for liquid.

Also, I'm going to be closing down my tank soon to get prepared/ready for a Sea Horse tank. Any ideas/advice on?
I know some don't agree with having sea horse captive, I don't agree with either. But I'd really love to have some in my care

I love seahorses too and I've been half contemplating a display refugium for them. However they are some of the most difficult creatures there are to take care of.

Back
Top Bottom