Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Thanx but no.....

Better off buying str8 GFO (granulated ferric oxide) from somewhere like bulkreefsupply, same stuff. You can mix carbon with it as it has a tendency to clump and reduce effectiveness.

It does work as a PO4 reducer. Follow manufacturers/vendor instructions.

W/ research you'll find that all GFO comes from one manufacturer, name brand gets you added cost...

Phosphate reduction takes time. Watch what you feed or you'll just end up feeding the po4 problem.

Not sure about the advantages of tumbling Purigen.. Can't hurt I guess, would bet it doesn't help much.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Really good info Captain. Now I know why I joined this site.
The stuff clumps up badly enough that in a cartridge filter, you have to mix in something that loosens up the mixture. I chose carbon because I had some. I guess you could mix in anything that was inert.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
I use Rowa Phos in a reactor (a chain of them, the first is Matrix Carbon, the last is Purigen).
I just got it today.. It's been going for about three hours.. Which me luck.. ;()
Any idea how soon I'll see a decrease... It was at 5 ppm before I installed it
Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just my 2 cents...GFO should tumble slightly in a reactor. This will keep it from clumping. Carbon works best in a slower flow. I run my GFO and carbon in two reactors in line with a MAG 3. The GFO is first then the Carbon. I get GREAT results.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #15

If you run them in a chain put the carbon first, this will clean the water a bit before it goes into the GFO.

It really depends on the tank. You should be able to measure the water coming out of the reactor and get 0 phosphate. It is when the water coming out of the reactor is no longer 0 that you need to replace the GFO, regardless of what the tank's water tests at.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
Thanx but no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
Just my 2 cents...GFO should tumble slightly in a reactor. This will keep it from clumping. Carbon works best in a slower flow. I run my GFO and carbon in two reactors in line with a MAG 3. The GFO is first then the Carbon. I get GREAT results.
Perhaps it should but not everyone has the capacity or wants a chain reactor setup. Many run them in HOB's, canisters or just between baffles in their sump. For them, mixing prevents clumping. As a general rule, for my 90/30, I run a cup of GFO thru a F404 for 2 months then change it out.

I despise skinny felines!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you!!! Can't wait to get home to test to find close to 1 ppm;() really hope sooo
Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have used the GFO from bulkreefsupply in a phosban reactor, but dont mix it with carbon, use GFO only in reactor and use carbon in something else. The GFO needs to be replaced at different times than the carbon, also the carbon will stop the GFO from the slight tumble it needs to do to work correctly. Here is a great video at Bulkreefsupply.com
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelinda76
Thank you!!! Can't wait to get home to test to find close to 1 ppm;() really hope sooo
This phos reactor has not done it's job.. I still have between 2ppm n 5 ppm ;( .. Bought a phos foam block too but nothing besides small particles in the water grrr.. Might to another water change maņana but not much.. Everything is where it should be. May even vacuum the inside of the overflow to get out what's stuck at the very bottom

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank
Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #20

What is the phosphate concentration coming out of the reactor?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com