Rowa phos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used this product?
Can u please share your experience?

Ive been using it for one week but my phos hasn't dropped much.

My water Parameters are at zero , my kh at 11.. Ph 8.2 .. Salinity at 1025 ca 500 n mag 1250 n temp is 77

What is your phosphate?

How are you using it? Is it in a reactor, media bag in a filter, tossed in the sump, what?

How much did you add?

What is the phosphate concentration?

The best way to use it is in a media reactor, I use TLF's Phosban reactor. In a media bag it will just bypass most of the Rowa Phos. A reactor forces the water to interact with the media, and you can test the output to see if it is still working.

It was 10 now it's at 5 ppm... I ordered the phos reactor by two litte fishes... Should be here next week

Thanks again

I started to use the product a few weeks ago in a cartridge filter canister. I am using it to polish the water and to insure that my very low Phosphate concentrations are brought down to zero. So far, it seems to be working okay, but it is very fine grain and the cartridge can actually provide too much resistance. I tried mixing mine with activated carbon to make it a bit easier for water to flow thru it while packed in a cartridge. It is also expensive.

Can it be recharged?

If it has dropped it by 5 it is doing a pretty good job, but the reactor will still be a better method.

Fishguy2727 said:
What is the phosphate concentration?

The best way to use it is in a media reactor, I use TLF's Phosban reactor. In a media bag it will just bypass most of the Rowa Phos. A reactor forces the water to interact with the media, and you can test the output to see if it is still working.

I know or heard the rowa can be recharged...But I would feel more at ease just buying new rowa phos.. The instructions say it's better if u replace a litte at a time instead of all so that's good

N yes it's expensive the bigger the tank...

I am not sure... Don't think you should be mixing carbon with phos media...

N yes the phos is still at 5 ...

What do u think about the liquid forms which claim to lower phos instantly?

I use Rowa Phos in a reactor (a chain of them, the first is Matrix Carbon, the last is Purigen).

Better off buying str8 GFO (granulated ferric oxide) from somewhere like bulkreefsupply, same stuff. You can mix carbon with it as it has a tendency to clump and reduce effectiveness.

It does work as a PO4 reducer. Follow manufacturers/vendor instructions.

W/ research you'll find that all GFO comes from one manufacturer, name brand gets you added cost...

Phosphate reduction takes time. Watch what you feed or you'll just end up feeding the po4 problem.

Not sure about the advantages of tumbling Purigen.. Can't hurt I guess, would bet it doesn't help much.

Really good info Captain. Now I know why I joined this site.
The stuff clumps up badly enough that in a cartridge filter, you have to mix in something that loosens up the mixture. I chose carbon because I had some. I guess you could mix in anything that was inert.

Fishguy2727 said:
I use Rowa Phos in a reactor (a chain of them, the first is Matrix Carbon, the last is Purigen).

I just got it today.. It's been going for about three hours.. Which me luck.. ;()
Any idea how soon I'll see a decrease... It was at 5 ppm before I installed it

Just my 2 cents...GFO should tumble slightly in a reactor. This will keep it from clumping. Carbon works best in a slower flow. I run my GFO and carbon in two reactors in line with a MAG 3. The GFO is first then the Carbon. I get GREAT results.

If you run them in a chain put the carbon first, this will clean the water a bit before it goes into the GFO.

It really depends on the tank. You should be able to measure the water coming out of the reactor and get 0 phosphate. It is when the water coming out of the reactor is no longer 0 that you need to replace the GFO, regardless of what the tank's water tests at.

Just my 2 cents...GFO should tumble slightly in a reactor. This will keep it from clumping. Carbon works best in a slower flow. I run my GFO and carbon in two reactors in line with a MAG 3. The GFO is first then the Carbon. I get GREAT results.

Perhaps it should but not everyone has the capacity or wants a chain reactor setup. Many run them in HOB's, canisters or just between baffles in their sump. For them, mixing prevents clumping. As a general rule, for my 90/30, I run a cup of GFO thru a F404 for 2 months then change it out.

I have used the GFO from bulkreefsupply in a phosban reactor, but dont mix it with carbon, use GFO only in reactor and use carbon in something else. The GFO needs to be replaced at different times than the carbon, also the carbon will stop the GFO from the slight tumble it needs to do to work correctly. Here is a great video at Bulkreefsupply.com

Emelinda76 said:
Thank you!!! Can't wait to get home to test to find close to 1 ppm;() really hope sooo

This phos reactor has not done it's job.. I still have between 2ppm n 5 ppm ;( .. Bought a phos foam block too but nothing besides small particles in the water grrr.. Might to another water change mañana but not much.. Everything is where it should be. May even vacuum the inside of the overflow to get out what's stuck at the very bottom

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

Back
Top Bottom