Royal Gramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your views on these?

I'm trying to find one last fish for my tank, but I'm having difficulty finding one that I really like! The royal gramma is the "best of a bad bunch" for me, for fish that are suitable for my tank.

It's 40gallons, and I already have an Ocellaris Clown, Banggai Cardinal, and Coral Beauty.

What do you guys think about the Royal Gramma, and/or can you suggest any interesting alternatives as my fourth and final fish?? :)

I can't keep another dwarf angel with my Coral Beauty can I?

I think having 2 dwarf angels in your 40g would be pushing it. We had a flame and a coral beauty in a 75g, but the flame was returned to the LFS. Others have had success, but I think the 40g would be a little small.

We have a chalk bass that we love. He was a little tentative when he first arrived, but now is out and about, and eats everything in sight. His colors aren't as dramatic as the coral or even the clowns, though.

I haven't actually got the CB yet - should I add him next (3rd fish) or last?

I have a Royal Gramma and he's a neat fish.
adds nice color to the tank.

He'll just hang upside down in the rocks or dangle at a 90 degree angle.
other times it's hard to find him in the rock work.

he opens his mouth like he is roaring when my 6 line wrasse gets too close to him.

I'd recommend them, Plus they are very hardy fish.

I just saw a really nice Royal Gramma at my LFS today, which has made my mind up.

So, 40G tank - ocellaris clown, banggai cardinal, coral beauty, royal gramma (in that order)

That sound ok to everyone?

Okie...

What's the inch of fish per gallon rule again? How many inches per gallon?

I give a thumbs up for the royal gramma. It is a cool fish that goes well in a reef tank. It also gets along well with others. The only problem I have with the RG is that it does hide out alot. Maybe thats just mine. :wink:

Ocellaris clowns, banggai cardinals, coral beautys and royal grammas aren't very "dirty" fish are they? ie. they don't produce that much waste...so I should be ok with them in my 35gallon (just measured it properly for the first time) :p

no they are pretty clean... dirty fish are mostly agressive fish, like puffers and such.

how much LR and LS do you have? that would be an important factor in the bioload your tank will be able to support.

LS = 2". LR = more very soon (ideally before I add my next fish, or at latest before I add my last :)

Total LR would be about 20-25kg I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom