Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2005, 02:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Royal Gramma, lifespan

Does anyone know the average lifespan of a royal gramma in the home aquarium? Is there any website that lists this information for different fishes and inverts?

Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

This site says 3-5 years. I have had mine for 2 now. Love her

http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles_Fairy_Basslet.htm

hth.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure about how accurate that sites facts are. They say a clown only lives around 3-6 years but most say they live for 10+.

Just thought I'd add that little disclaimer.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. my gramma died and my water perameters are great. There was no sign of illness. I got him from a friend and that person had his tank for five years, so I'm not sure how long he had the gramma, but it was at least 2.5 inches long, so it may have been old.

All my other fish are fine, but I just bought a mandarin and he is rather large, so he may be old. I will have to stock copepods regularly to keep him wall fed, but I think he's old.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine is approaching 4 years old from the time of purchase. I would expect natural lifespan to approach 10 years like most other fish, but this could be expected to fall short in the home aquarium. I am expecting to beat the 3-5 year mark though. As foods (quality, etc.) and our knowledge of improving water quality increases I would expect this aquarium life span to get closer to 10 years for most fish.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've had mine for about 10 years now. I think it might be close to it's time though
Old 12-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

in the wild fish can live upwards of 20 years it all just boild down to the system its in and stress they have to endure in their environment.

its liek with humans, some have lived to be 100 years old while others die at 30, its the same with any other species and its hard to say how long someone will actually live because at the end of the day anythign could happen and something can suddenly die
Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing that is important is the stress factor when it comes to how long anything lives in our tanks. That is why I get upset with people that say my fish lived a year in a tank that was 5 gallons when it is recommended they be in a 20 gallon tank. This is another one of my favorites I have had my tank for 2 years and I have done 4 water changes on it but it crashed and I don't understand why.

My royal gamma is 2 years old and is a picky eater he doesn't put just anything in his mouth but he has a good appetite and is chunky. He was the first fish in my tank so he had his choice of spots to hide. I hope he is one of those fish that out last the records set for living in a tank.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had my royal gramma since 2006.

Tags
lifespan, royal, royal gramma

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com