Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rubbermaid leeching Nitrate? also LFS - WTF???

Ok, so I've been testing water on a reef tank that has been solid red on API Nitrate (160ppm - max) and hot pink on Salifert (100ppm - max). I did a 15% PWC yesterday and cleaned the sump. Still at 160ppm today.

I have 20g mixed SW @ 74-75F that has been sitting there now for about 18 hours in a 25g Rubbermaid tub I bought at Menards and rinsed well before mixing. I bought the water at Wal-Mart and the grocery store, Culligan filtered & RO water.

I tested it last night (5 pm ish) before adding salt, 0 ppm Nitrate (freshwater at the time). Salt was put in about 8am ish. Now it shows 15-20ppm on the SW scale at 2pm ish.

So #1 item in this post:

Does anyone know if Rubbermaid tubs will leech Nitrates into RO filtered water if you let it sit in the tub too long? Ish!!

#2 item in this post: LFS / WTF

I cut the tank water and mixed water 50-50 in a test tube and tested that to see if I could get a more accurate reading and double it to come up with the level in the tank. Solid Red by the time I got done shaking it.

So I took samples of tank & tub to my LFS and this is what happened; they also used API and put the 10 drops of the first in, holding the bottle SIDEWAYS, finger on top (not the cap) and shook it. I asked him if it made a difference since the instructions say hold the bottle vertical. He said NO. Then he grabbed the #2 bottle, without shaking it AT ALL, and did the SAME THING. Then he shook it for about 15 seconds. The tub water came up 0 and the tank water came up about 40-80. I asked him why he didn't shake up the #2 bottle like you're supposed to, and he said they get used all the time so they only shake them every once in a while, and that the suspension stays dissolved enough since they use them so much. Hence, WTF.

So, I'm doing it right, aren't I??? If you squeeze the drops with the bottle sideways, you're going to get smaller drops or non-symmetrical size, and by not shaking the #2 bottle, you're going to get variable results depending on when it was shaken last. Aren't you? I was just floored.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
when I had 160ppm I did 40% water changes every 4 days and got them down to 10-15ppm and holding steady. Stii trying to hit 0. Look up the salt you are using some have nitrates. I would think since you tested the water at 0 then added the salt and got15-20ppm it is in your salt

bavass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Says right on the box No Nitrates.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Even though it says "no" nitrates, Reef Crystals will have about 1.0 ppm nitrates in it normally.

I use a Rubbermaid tub and don't have any nitrate issues. But if this is a new tub, and it wasn't washed out good, it's possible there was some residue in it that is testing as nitrates. That's the only thing I can think of.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, lfs, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com