Rubbermaid Stock Tank Frag Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you don't mind me asking, did you get the shelves there too?

Rock is in and all plumbing appears to be good. I went with all BRS Pukani dry rock. 25 lbs dry, 25 lbs cured. Figured I'd do Pukani since its so porous, letting me get away with a little less rock. In the rock tank, I plan on dumping a ton of macro algae for additional natural filtration. I'm taking my time with this one, so I plan on letting it sit there and cook for a good while.

A few pics:

image-2382541392.jpg

image-542442625.jpg

Installed a Phosban reactor today along with 2 Tunze Nano 6025 powerheads today. Other than that, just letting it cook along.

Looks awesome. I never thought of using a rubbermaid bin as a sump. How would you make baffles for that?

I'm not using any baffles, rather just extra water volume and a place to house my rock and macro algae. The stock tanks I've seen used as sumps have never had baffles, but rather just a large area for the skimmer, return pump and macro algae. Often an "algae bin" is constructed out of egg crate and placed in the sump.

Been a little while since I updated, so here it goes...

I finally decided on lighting and went with a Kessil A350w and it actually covers the entire trough pretty well!

image-622831978.jpg

Underneath in the 55g sump, I'm running a Reef Octopus NWB 150 and I'm pretty impressed by what it's pulling out. In the sump, I'm also running a Phosban 150 with GFO and I'm running carbon passively through the filter sock.

In the refugium, I currently have 2 clamp on shop lights with 6500k CFL twist bulbs which I may swap out for a Kessil A150w 6500k at some
Point. As far as algae in the fuge, I have chaeto, caulerpa, red gracilaria, red fern, and halimeda.

image-1288139980.jpg

I'm also running Pom Pom Xenia in the fuge as well. So far, it's taking off!

image-1367555674.jpg

Finally, here is a full shot the system...

image-243666829.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Deluxe. I also have Xenia in my algae scrubber. It loves it. I too am a Rubbermaid fan. I use them for everything except display tanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom