Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Will bleach and a good rinsing do if they have been used?
Sorry, got confused with this comment.

New totes are fine. I would just rinse them a bit to get rid of some of that plastic smell. You could even use baking soda to help get rid of the odor. Baking soda is perfectly safe.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
My original question was for new, unused totes.
Now we're talking....

BTW, I've never used bleach to clean aquarium stuff. Just heard it mentioned more than a few times in the past.

Anybody wanna expound on it/'splain it further - for those like me and others who maybe were wonderin'? When would anyone use it? Extreme cleaning?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use bleach to clean out my clear hoses that I use for water changes and syphoning of gunk out of my tanks. I fill a 5gallon bucket up with water and put 2 cap fulls of bleach in the water and mix it up good, then I syphon that 5 gallons through my hose killing any bacteria or algae that has accumulated in them over a month or so of use. After that I have a hook up for my hose on a faucet and run water through it for a good 30 minutes or so to flush the lines out. I've been doing this for over 2 years (FW nut before a Reefer) with no problems. Please note that I use a very diluted solution but it does the trick. That clear tubing can get right nasty after a while and I like to reuse as long as I can.

****I have never used bleach to clean anything else out*****
Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
BTW, I've never used bleach to clean aquarium stuff. Just heard it mentioned more than a few times in the past.

Anybody wanna expound on it/'splain it further - for those like me and others who maybe were wonderin'? When would anyone use it? Extreme cleaning?
It is a very effective disinfecting "agent" that is commonly available to the average shopper.

It's often used to sterilize equipment for any number of reasons (after disease outbreak, after a quarantine has finished, etc.)

Bleach is also effective at the extreme cleaning -- soak whatever you want to clean in a bucket of water with some bleach added, wait a day or two, rinse == nice and clean! (yeah, some exceptions apply here...)

Of course, usual cautions and precautions apply when using bleach (read the side of the container)

Also, keep in mind anything cleaned with bleach will need to be thoroughly rinsed afterwards and some items (rubber suction cups, sponge filters, exposed metal, et al.) can damaged or destroyed by bleach exposure. So, use with caution.

Additional note; for those who decide they need or want to use bleach, make sure it is "pure" bleach (smells like a swimming pool, and the bottle should indicate this as well) and not the scented bleach that is available.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have used bleach to clean a used tank. I only use 1 cap of regular bleach to a whole bucket of water. I then wash the tank off with it and let the tank air dry for a few days and then when I fill it up and getting it running then I add dechlorinator to be on the safe side. Steve S. said that air drying was suffiecient but I want that added protection. This is just what I do to clean used tanks and I have not had any problems on the 4 tanks I have cleaned. HTH

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use bleach all the time to clean and sterilize things. You can also use, but not at the same time, white wine vinegar to help remove calcium deposits.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
then wash the tank off with it and let the tank air dry for a few days and then when I fill it up and getting it running then I add dechlorinator to be on the safe side
I knew there was something people used after cleaning equipment w/ bleach, I just could not remember what. Definitely better to be safe than sorry IMO.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
i cleaned my tank with boiling water. it took a while but i did it.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safe, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com