Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

ruffle some feathers

ok i know im prob gonna make some people unhappy but here it goes!! just got back from a great weeks vacation in sunny florida!! and while i was down there my brother which has a 220 gal wanted to get rid of his nurse shark getting way to big and ate everything including his big lion fish!! so we load him up and drove to boca grande and take him out a ways and let him lose !! which was so cool to swim with him out to sea !! so while we were out we grabbed a bunch of sand for his tank !!which was one of the biggest chore!! just filled garbage bags with just enough to keep them from ripping and light enough to carry!! also while we were just chilling on the beach we also grabbed a bunch of floating seaweed !! well ended up getting like 4 nudi's,crabs, snails, name it all on the seaweed !! so before i left i got my self like 50 lbs of sand and seaweed a few mangrove seeds ect ect for my self !! when i get to the air port my bag was 9 lbs over weight which was gonna cost me $50 for the extra weight !! and i was asked what i had in the suitcase i said sand !! she said ya want to pull 9lbs out ?? i was like i would like to but i had it so nicly bagged didnt want to open it and have it leak (had little zip lock baggies with sand, inside 3 layers of trash bags which makes me wonder if they thought it was coke or something lol )!! heheh so i pay the $50 !! when i get back to chicago and my suit case with all the goodies come around and the darn thing was leaking lol !! so i open it and the airport had opened everything to see what i had but didnt close it no were as good as i had !! which really was a test to see what would be said to me either way but nothing said or even 2nd guessed !! but next time im gonna just ship it my self save the aggravation !! i know alot of people dont like that idea but im my opinion the seaweed that was out there was on its way to the beach anyway to dry and die and sand well come on !! thats all florida is "a big sand box" !! would think if it was illegal they would have kept the sand or fined me something !! and i know most people living their do the same thang if not worse !! they have great base rock at the bottom of overpasses on the highway just check with vinegar first !! which we got some for my brothers tank and went to tampa bay salt water for some live rock which that place is not what i thought it would be but still kinda cool !! so see we not robbing the reefs cause if i was like that i would have took the boat out there and got free rock which isnt cool !!! but sand and free floating algae is far game imo and a even trade for the release of a very neat shark imo !! just hope he dont get caught boca is the tarpen capitol of the world ya know !! heheh

Old 11-09-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Taking sand off the beach is no big deal in FL. I believe FL. law says you can take one 5 gallon bucket of sand per person per day off the beach. I got a few cups myself from the Gulf to help seed my DSB.

Releasing the shark to the wild is another matter. I am not sure it will be able to survive since it has been in captivity in so long. Next time you may want to check and see if a marine aquarium park (i.e. Gulf World, Sea World, etc...) would be willing to take it off your hands.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea we called a few places and no one wanted him think nurse sharks are just to common down there !! im hoping for the best for him !! didnt check sea world! never heard of gulf world ?!?!? where is that i lived there most of my life ?
as for the mangroves have you raised any from a seed?? if so how ling for it to root its self ?? one has a few barnicals on it which i know they need a ton of food so far going on two weeks now they doing fine but if and when the seed start to root its self im sure they gonna die !!
also in the sand i got there are a million little black flee looking bugs !! any ideas what these are??
Old 11-09-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
never heard of gulf world ?!?!? where is that i lived there most of my life ?
In in the panhandle in Panama City. When we had a large 300g FO tank years and years ago in one of our stores, we had two nurse sharks in the tank. When they finally got too big, Gulf World came and took them off our hands. It was really great that they did that for us.

Quote:
for the mangroves have you raised any from a seed??
No, I sure haven't. Don't have a clue on this one.

Quote:
also in the sand i got there are a million little black flee looking bugs !! any ideas what these are??
Might just be sand flys and sand fleas. Not really sure without a picture.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
Wow sounds like you've got a lot of things going on up there in chicago-land!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahhh that would have been cool not sure if they would of wanted to come half way down the state for a shark !! i know i wouldnt of wanted to drive all the way up there heheheh sand flys huh ¿? i know what sand flees are got a ton of those but the crabs my bro had ate all of them and the cokeno's (spelling¿?¿?) and the few i brought back my stone crab was all over them !! but they way to small for a pic ! they not like the amphipods at all !! more round and jet black !! not sure about copods seams i have trouble getting those kinda wonder if the larger amphipods would eat them ?!?!? the amphipods i have look like little praying mantis/ants ! mabe i just not seeing any my guess is they wouldnt sit on the glass like all my amphipods do ?!?!?
Old 11-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea its getting there for sure notmuffy!! nice to follow reefladys idea with a nice big fug in the basement !! i spend more time down there with a magnifing glass heheh to to fun !! and safe place away from the lady friend as well heheheh
Old 11-09-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

wouldnt a sand fly mean it fly's ?????????????? heheheheh wife would love that if they came jumping out of the tank hehehe she's creeped out just looking at the bugs in the tank hehehe j/k

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com