Running 20g skimmerless???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20g tank, 2 ocellaris clowns, 5 hermit crabs, 1 brain coral, 1 torch coral, a pair of xenia, 1 toadstool, Some zoos, 1 daisy, 1 leather does that considered as high bioloads? I have been using Prizm since I started this hobby 6 months ago but don't like the sound/noise of the Prizm and thinking of going skimmerless. If I can keep all these without any Prizm that would be great.

Do you guys think I need one for all the above bioloads? Ever since I started this tank I have been doing 15% or 20% water change EVERY week, never missed. Could I keep doing this and run the tank without the Prizm? Need opinion first before I take away the Prizm cause I don't want my tank to crash.

Thanks for the help in advance guys...

How much live rock do you have??

I think with enough live rock/maybe a HOB filter/and PWC at the right times would be enough to keep the tank in check with no need for a skimmer.

You would need about 30-40 lbs of lr and plenty of PWC`s. The tank will need constant monitoring

I have a Prizm. It sucks.

I do think you might need a skimmer for detrius removal, dude. With that said, there are skimmers that are more efficient and are probably much more quiet than the Prizm.

A skimmer is certainly reccommended and your tank will benefit from one. That being said, you do not NEED one. I do not have one on my 12gal reef and rely on weekly PWC. I would not consider going skimmerless on my larger reef.

when i had a 20 gal folr, i had a crappy skimmer, so i took it off.... i kept up with my pwc and ran poly filters in a hob. i had no problems... but still got the remora when i had the money to get it....

I run a 29G skimmerless with no problems. Like you I chose to accept that I would have to wc every week. I had a CPR bakpak on it but I wanted it out for the bubbles. So, Its been skimmerless for a year with awesome results. As you pointed out your fish are key to this. I have only 2 perc clowns in mine. Absolutely will need to keep the fish load where its at or you will start to outpace your wc's. Has worked for me for a year now, best of luck!

Peace.

I have a crappy skimmer on my 10 gallon and it does nothing. Does nto pull anyhting out of the tank. BUt I run a HOB with carbon and PO4 remover- I alos let the skimmer run to at least make use of the water flow it provides.

Yes. I run my 20g skimmerless and do PWC every 2 weeks. No problems. You just need to be careful how much you feed. In such a small ecosystem it's alot easier to overfeed. The reminents of overfeeding include nuisance algae, more detrius, & fatter lazy fish that urinate more than normal.

Back
Top Bottom