Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Running a HOB filter in sump

I am in the process of designing a sump for a 75 gallon sw aquarium. I have a Marineland Emperor 280, that I replaced with a canister filter on my 29 gallon fw, and I was wondering if it would be feasible to integrate it into my sump for a bit of extra filtration or if doing so would just be a waste of electricity.

If so, what is the best way to clean it for its new purpose and should I replace the bio-wheel? It's been dry for three or so years now. Thanks for reading.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't. I'd just run carbon and a filter sock in your sump. That isn't much added filtration IMO and it can build up nitrates. Just extra work

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run a HOB filter on my refugium just for the capabilities of running phosphate removing media and purigen on the tank. It's not a terrible idea and its WAY cheaper than a reactor. It's not worth it to run just for extra filtration though as your live rock should be all that you need.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

So you're saying that a HOB filter with carbon and gfo inserts could effectively replace the need for a reactor? Do you think it would provide enough turbulence to keep the gfo from solidifying?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStarter89 View Post
So you're saying that a HOB filter with carbon and gfo inserts could effectively replace the need for a reactor? Do you think it would provide enough turbulence to keep the gfo from solidifying?
I can't comment on gfo since I've never used it but I use seachem seagel with a lot of success. It's a blend of activated carbon and phosguard.

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com