Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if you are going to use it, you should run it in a reactor. using it passively in a bag in the sump is just a waste of effort. you won't get much, if any benefit from it that way.
since it makes the water crystal clear, i was told to either run it 24/7/365, or not at all. i have heard of people running carbon and their water cleared up so much that the light penetrated a lot better and they burnt some corals.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #12

Burning corals should only be an issue if you all of a sudden start using a lot. If you use a little and increase the amount slowly it should be no different than slowly moving a high light coral up your rock work, it will adjust.

I have heard the opposite. One idea is to use carbon for short periods on a regular basis (like for 24 hours once a month). This gives you the benefit of removing the bad things without constantly removing the good things as well.

I agree that a reactor is the best way to use it. However, I wouldn't say it is the only effective way. As long as the carbon is getting some flow (high or low) it will do its job. If tossing a bag in the sump was ineffective than the carbon in a bag in the sump would never become exhausted, which I think we all would agree would not be the case.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

how do you know when it's exhausted then?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #14

You don't really. With GFO you can test the phosphate of the output water. With carbon there is no way of knowing and it varies based on the quality of the carbon, the amount, the amount of things in the water it will be removing, etc. It is guesswork. Buy high quality carbon and guess that you change it often enough to keep it effective. I am just saying that although it is more effective in a canister or reactor, it isn't noneffective in a media bag just sitting in the sump.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

so, like using a giant protein skimmer on your tank but only feeding it with a 250gph pump, so is the media bad scenario compared to the reactor set up.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #16

I said the reactor (or a canister) is better than just sitting the carbon in a bag in the sump. I just don't agree that: "using it passively in a bag in the sump is just a waste of effort. you won't get much, if any benefit from it that way." Flow is flow, more is better. Sitting it in a sump will provide flow, but not much and it will definitely allow bypass. It is better than nothing, but definitely not the best option.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Sitting it in a sump will provide flow, but not much and it will definitely allow bypass. It is better than nothing, but definitely not the best option.
you are saying the same thing, just wording it different.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #18

I don't think you made it clear in your original post. It gave the impression that carbon in a bag in a sump does nothing and I just wanted to clarify that. Sorry.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks for the info.... im running the carbon in a filter sock that is just as fine as a fish net. but im gonna ditch it after reading about the tang problem. if it was gonna happen to anyone, it will be me.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think as long as the carbon pieces are not jiggling around and producing fine particles, you will be fine. But it is controversial, water changes aren't. I think a reactor might produce more dust than a filter cartridge or sump bag. I have used it for years and my corals respond well to it. No problem with Tangs. People that support densely packed SPS gardens almost always have to use it.

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com