Running carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people say to run carbon for 4 days a month, some to run all the time but replace each week, others to run all the time but replace each month, etc. :p

I'd like to get my money out of it, but don't want to have ANY chance of it causing any problems or leeching back into the tank etc. What's the best time-frame I should use for the carbon? Would you definitely recommend running it all the time?

How has the wool improved your water RocketSeason?

Any kind of wool or foam pads act to remove larger particles from the water column. They are beneficial as long as you clean them often(as previously stated they can be a nitrate factory if left too long) basically it's up to you. The amount of stuff I clean out of mine makes me think it is beneficial to have it.

i really think its beneficial too, i rinse mine weekly, it really only takes a second to do. i also run my carbon for 4 days.

I'd like to get my money out of it, but don't want to have ANY chance of it causing any problems or leeching back into the tank etc. What's the best time-frame I should use for the carbon? Would you definitely recommend running it all the time?

If you buy a quality carbon you shouldn't have problems leaving it in for a month, in the end its how much you want to spend & how much time you want to spend changing it?

Cheers Shelton.

The wool is rinsed in used SW then I guess?

Shelton: I'll leave it in for a week and only run for a week a month I reckon.

You agree with that? :p

MarkW19 said:
The wool is rinsed in used SW then I guess?

Shelton: I'll leave it in for a week and only run for a week a month I reckon.

You agree with that? :p

Hehehehe, as I said you can run it for as long or as little as you like, ask 50 different users on here the wsame & I bet you'd get atleast 10 differenent times/amounts, try it at a week, see what difference it makes to your water & then you can always adjust it up or down from there :)

Cheers Shelton.

How will I tell what difference it makes? Nitrates are at 0, as are phosphates etc.

BTW, re. wool/carbon - will these not take out some DOC that the corals will eat?

I run my carbon for a month in my sump when I use it. I don't run it all the time just when I have folks coming over to polish the water. Everyone I know in my club if they run it they leave it in for a month. if you dont mind the work then change it, just figured leaving it in longer would save a few bucks over a years time.

you should rinse it in SW, just use change water when you do a water change, this will help preserve all the bacteria, if worst comes to worst decholrinated tap water works in a pinch.

So, would you put the wool covering the whole of the top media basket? The rowaphos is in the top basket, surrounded by the balls, and the carbon in the bottom basket surrounded by the balls.

Will the wool slow my filter down or anything?

By the way, when I put my carbon in, I'll have to remove some balls for it to fit. How many balls do you think I can safely remove before bacteria start to suffer etc.?

Anyone? :)

Just got the wool - I guess the little fibres that come off it aren't harmful?

Can anyone answer my other question(s)? :p

So, would you put the wool covering the whole of the top media basket? The rowaphos is in the top basket, surrounded by the balls, and the carbon in the bottom basket surrounded by the balls.

In my Ehiem I have a large particle filter pad in the bottom basket, 2 layers of filter then rowaphos & 2 layers of filter in the middle basket & then 2 layers of wool then Carbon then 2 more layers of filter in the top basket

Will the wool slow my filter down or anything?

Doesn't /seem/ to slow mine down, I supposed if it became cloaked it might do, but I run mine 3 weeks at a time without problems?

By the way, when I put my carbon in, I'll have to remove some balls for it to fit. How many balls do you think I can safely remove before bacteria start to suffer etc.?

Sorry can't answer that as I don't use balls

Just got the wool - I guess the little fibres that come off it aren't harmful?

Not noticed that with the stuff I use?

Can anyone answer my other question(s)?

Any more for any more?

Cheers Shelton.

Cheers Shelton, I guess mine's different with it using the balls in the baskets.

I guess the wool is meant to go first, so it should be placed over the whole of the first (top) basket?

And, at the moment the bag I have my rowaphos in (in the top basket) is small, so it sits in the centre of the basket with the balls around it. I guess this means all the water won't actually go through the rowaphos?

Should stuff like rowaphos/carbon etc. really be covering the WHOLE basket, so that all water has to pass through it?

As I'm only running my carbon for 4-7 days a month, I think I'll just put the wool over the top basket while the carbon's in, then take it out, rinse it in tap water, let it dry out, then put it back in with the new carbon the next month...

That ok? ;)

Mark,

You may find this helpful:

http://www.eheim.com/Filter_massen.cgi?Text=2&Mode=zeige&welches=2228&Filter=Gesamtliste

Although, yours only has two trays as I understand. This is for my Eheim 2228.

I have my Rowaphos between the fine filter and substrat on the final (top) tray. I keep my carbon in the internal filter on my Jewel tank, but I dont see any reason why you cant put your carbon in the same place as I put my Rowaphos... :)

Thanks Steve - I'm planning on putting a layer of wool (not the official filter pad) right at the very top of the top basket (which has a small bag of rowaphos in the middle of it with the balls around); then, the carbon in a bag in the 2nd (bottom) basket, with the balls also around this.

Do you agree?

Is it ok to rinse the wool in tapwater and let it dry before using again? Or should I be using SW?

carbon?

i'v never used carbon in my salt tank. I have no corals, but an enenime, and fish, and other inverts. I'v just receintly even heard of using carbon in a marine tank. Can anyone tell me the purpose of carbon? I never use it in my freshwater tanks either, inless i'v treated with a medication, then i will use it to rid the tank of the chemicals i have used.
Is it necessary to use Carbon? Is it the same carbon that you would use in a freshwater tank?

Back
Top Bottom