Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2004, 01:35 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
you should rinse it in SW, just use change water when you do a water change, this will help preserve all the bacteria, if worst comes to worst decholrinated tap water works in a pinch.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, would you put the wool covering the whole of the top media basket? The rowaphos is in the top basket, surrounded by the balls, and the carbon in the bottom basket surrounded by the balls.

Will the wool slow my filter down or anything?

By the way, when I put my carbon in, I'll have to remove some balls for it to fit. How many balls do you think I can safely remove before bacteria start to suffer etc.?

Old 11-03-2004, 04:04 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone?

Just got the wool - I guess the little fibres that come off it aren't harmful?

Can anyone answer my other question(s)? :P
Old 11-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
So, would you put the wool covering the whole of the top media basket? The rowaphos is in the top basket, surrounded by the balls, and the carbon in the bottom basket surrounded by the balls.
In my Ehiem I have a large particle filter pad in the bottom basket, 2 layers of filter then rowaphos & 2 layers of filter in the middle basket & then 2 layers of wool then Carbon then 2 more layers of filter in the top basket

Quote:
Will the wool slow my filter down or anything?
Doesn't /seem/ to slow mine down, I supposed if it became cloaked it might do, but I run mine 3 weeks at a time without problems?

Quote:
By the way, when I put my carbon in, I'll have to remove some balls for it to fit. How many balls do you think I can safely remove before bacteria start to suffer etc.?
Sorry can't answer that as I don't use balls

Quote:
Just got the wool - I guess the little fibres that come off it aren't harmful?
Not noticed that with the stuff I use?

Quote:
Can anyone answer my other question(s)?
Any more for any more?

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:08 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheers Shelton, I guess mine's different with it using the balls in the baskets.

I guess the wool is meant to go first, so it should be placed over the whole of the first (top) basket?

And, at the moment the bag I have my rowaphos in (in the top basket) is small, so it sits in the centre of the basket with the balls around it. I guess this means all the water won't actually go through the rowaphos?

Should stuff like rowaphos/carbon etc. really be covering the WHOLE basket, so that all water has to pass through it?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I'm only running my carbon for 4-7 days a month, I think I'll just put the wool over the top basket while the carbon's in, then take it out, rinse it in tap water, let it dry out, then put it back in with the new carbon the next month...

That ok?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mark,

You may find this helpful:

http://www.eheim.com/Filter_massen.c...er=Gesamtliste

Although, yours only has two trays as I understand. This is for my Eheim 2228.

I have my Rowaphos between the fine filter and substrat on the final (top) tray. I keep my carbon in the internal filter on my Jewel tank, but I dont see any reason why you cant put your carbon in the same place as I put my Rowaphos...
Old 11-06-2004, 04:00 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Steve - I'm planning on putting a layer of wool (not the official filter pad) right at the very top of the top basket (which has a small bag of rowaphos in the middle of it with the balls around); then, the carbon in a bag in the 2nd (bottom) basket, with the balls also around this.

Do you agree?

Is it ok to rinse the wool in tapwater and let it dry before using again? Or should I be using SW?
Old 11-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

carbon?

i'v never used carbon in my salt tank. I have no corals, but an enenime, and fish, and other inverts. I'v just receintly even heard of using carbon in a marine tank. Can anyone tell me the purpose of carbon? I never use it in my freshwater tanks either, inless i'v treated with a medication, then i will use it to rid the tank of the chemicals i have used.
Is it necessary to use Carbon? Is it the same carbon that you would use in a freshwater tank?

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com