Running my filters with all medias during cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I am cycling my tank with my 2 canister filters which are all I am going to use as filtration in future.

My question is: Is it alright if I have all the media running in the canister filter right now? I currently running the whole thing in the filter: Activated carbon, filter foam/sponge, ceramic rings, etc etc which came with the filters I bought.

The reason I am doing this is because I am not only cycling the tank I am also cycling my filters. I thought I also need to get the bacteria to establish in the filters as well. Am I doing the right thing? Or I shouldn’t have include the activated carbon just the ceramic rings and the foam will do?

I would take the Carbon out for now. It won't hurt anything...but it's a waste IMO. There's no need to have carbon when cycling. But yes, when cycling, use all the media you have or that you are going to use. You can also add later, but once you get it cycled, and you take media out, your going to see another cycle.

The carbon has already been there for 3 days since day one if I take it out now would I still be able to use it later? So I just rinse it with tap water or tank water? Thanks for you advice.

weekf said:
The carbon has already been there for 3 days since day one if I take it out now would I still be able to use it later? So I just rinse it with tap water or tank water? Thanks for you advice.
In that case, I would just leave it in. I haven't had carbon in my filter for three months.

Back
Top Bottom