Running ro/di over night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan p

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you think I'm alright running my 50 gallon per day ro/di unit into a 32 gallon barrel until 6 am?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha.
I almost got a divorce over that when I was filling my tank, (even set alarm every two hours).

Flooded my living room. Hard wood floors saved me.

My rodi makes 5G in an hour. (75gpd).

I run mine overnight regularly. You can always get a float valve for it so it will shut off once it reaches the desired level.

That's really funny because my girlfriend fought with me about it for almost an hour.. She won probably for the best because I have laminate floors and they would be toast

I stick mine in the bath so at least of it runs over, it's in the bath!

But then il have 32 gallons of water in my tub.. My water changes are between 5 and 10 gallons a week

Then why not get some blue plastic water jugs from the grocery store and re use those? they are 5 gallons each and fit in your sink. Easy to handle and not to heavy. All I ever use...

Then why not get some blue plastic water jugs from the grocery store and re use those? they are 5 gallons each and fit in your sink. Easy to handle and not to heavy. All I ever use...

+1.
I thought you were just filling a tank.

If your going to do it monthly, you'll want, as mentioned above, a float or some sort of relay.

Possibly a timer set up after you calculate your true GPD & consistent PSI?

I thought you were filling Jerry cans!

It's a big brute barrel I was using 5 gallon jugs but now I have this big barrel that I'm going to plumb into the aquarium for water changes that way all I'm doing is mixing my salt

I run mine outside. I change 12 to 15 gallons a week and it takes about 20 minutes for the water change, and about 1 1/2 hours to fill my two 7 gallon containers.

I live in Minnesota from now until March it will be in the negatives outside. I wish I lived somewhere warm but until then I have mine set up in the laundry room and I will probably get one of those hydrologic shut off valves

I think I'm going to go for it.. My girlfriends working so I'm just going to let it run all night and hope it doesn't over flow

Go for it man. If your water pressure is anything like mine in North dakota your probably only pushing 30 gallons a day. I leave mine running overnight in a 15 gallon tub.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't do it! I used to always think "oh yeah it will fill slow enough I will be all right" no way 3-4 flooded laundry rooms later I only fill while I can monitor it :)

Totally flooded my downstairs neighbors condo....twice!! I now put it in the bathtub as another has said. Even then, put a weight on the line, pressure spikes can flick the output line out of tub/ bucket.

JR

You will figure out what works after 3 floods

Back
Top Bottom