Running tank skimmerless vs using a skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you know I have been running my 20 gal tank skimmerless for about 4 months now and the 80 gal tank has never had a skimmer on it since I set it up a few months back. Well last week I decided I would turn the skimmer on the 20 and see what I pulled out of the water.

To my supprise over the course of 1 week I managed to pull out a whole 1/2" worth of brown fluid out of the collection cup. Maybe 1/4th a liquid cup in all. I was rather suprised that I did not pull out more.

So today I moved the prizm skimmer down to the 80 and put it on the sump. I plan on running it down there for a week ro so and see what I can pull out of the water down there.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing if they ran skimmer less for a period and then put a skimmer back on?

I ran my wife's 29 gal. live rock fish only for months without a skimmer.
Just had an Aquaclear 200 with foam block and phos. pad.
I put the prizim on it and it barley pulled anything out.

Now my 75 gal. reef thats another story Berlin turbo in the sump, that pulls some foul smelling junk out, have to clean the cup and neck weekly.
Better in the cup then the tank :D

I have a skimmer on my 55g FOLR tank and it consistently pulls out yuck. I empty every few days. Cup not full, but it looks so fowl and is so easy to clean, I go ahead and do it.

Do not have one on my 10g Nano. However do not have much in this tank and don't know if I will try one.

Back
Top Bottom