Rust on razor blade any harm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys hope you can help me out here. I am currently using razor blade to scrape of extra coraline algae off my glass tank I find it very effective but have a small question.

Will rust on the blade cause any harm or damage to my peppermint shrimps and softies? I heard that copper will harm them but can rust turn into copper in time? Thanks in advance guys.

Iron oxide (rust) can never turn into copper (an entirely different element), but rust itself can be toxic....I would just grab a new blade.

No I dont think steel can turn into copper but the rust cant be good for your tank. I believe it will mix with your water causing heavy metals to pollute your water

ok...heres what i did...go to Homedepot and lookin the paint area...get a wide window/paint scraper and the replacement blades are cheap...before you use them jsut wash them and make sure you dry them right away to prvent any rust.....

Rust is problem. I prolong the life of my blades by rinsing them in FW and drying them completely after each use.

a rusty blade won't work that well though. Just buy a big pack of them and throw them out when rusty.

Whether it is OK or bad. No rusty items are going in my tank. I`ve worked too hard to take a chance on a rusty blade.

Back
Top Bottom