Ryan's Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsticks

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I walked into my LFS at the perfect time when they just received a huge shipment of fish. I actually got to see them put them into their display tanks and got first picking of what they had. I wanted a cool centerpiece fish and decided to go with a baby Fu Manchu Lion fish. He's only about 2 inches. He's been in my tank for 3 days now and I think he's gotten used to his new home and I want to try and feed him when I get home from work today. Does anyone out there have experience with feeding a Fu Manchu Lion Fish? Any tips for feeding would be appreciated.

image-3193891655.jpg

Fu Manchu drip acclimating

Attachments

• image-1432029274.jpg
    image-1432029274.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 114
TLTGF said:

That is pretty helpfull. I may try and see if he'll eat frozen food right off the bat, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. The only thing missing from that site is the "how much" and "how often". Any clue on how much food is substantial for my little guy, or how often to feed him? I saw u got a little angler, congrats. Have you fed him yet? And what was your first approach?

If you can find the frozen hikari krill thats not cubed but whole krill I would try that first. I got my zebra lion started on that and live grass shrimp . Now he eats anything I put in the tank. I would try one krill if you get it.

Hondatek said:
If you can find the frozen hikari krill thats not cubed but whole krill I would try that first. I got my zebra lion started on that and live grass shrimp . Now he eats anything I put in the tank. I would try one krill if you get it.

My LFS has whole frozen krill luckily. I'll pick up a pack later. I have an acrylic feeding rod that I'll likely use. Did you just thaw in tank water then feed with a skewer?

Never had to use a feeding stick . I just thaw in tank water and drop the food in . I think I'm more the exception then the rule in this situation . I would use the stick since you have it.

Hondatek said:
Never had to use a feeding stick . I just thaw in tank water and drop the food in . I think I'm more the exception then the rule in this situation . I would use the stick since you have it.

Ha so you were one of the lucky ones huh. I'll see if the krill works tonight. I've been dying to see him eat off the feeding stick.

I wouldn't say that I was lucky. It took a few months of persistence . I just got live grass shrimp once a week and frozen the rest of the time and if he didn't eat the frozen he would eat once a week . Eventually he came around to my way and eats anything . You have to walk that fine line of making sure he has just enough food to be healthy but not too much because you want him to be hungry so he tries the frozen. Hope that makes sense I'm on AA at work and I'm rushing lol. Good luck

That is pretty helpfull. I may try and see if he'll eat frozen food right off the bat, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. The only thing missing from that site is the "how much" and "how often". Any clue on how much food is substantial for my little guy, or how often to feed him? I saw u got a little angler, congrats. Have you fed him yet? And what was your first approach?

Well, my angler has eaten brine shrimp and isopods so far...

I'm waiting until tomorrow to try to feed frozen.

TLTGF said:
Well, my angler has eaten brine shrimp and isopods so far...

I'm waiting until tomorrow to try to feed frozen.

Well let me know how that's goes. I tried to feed mine krill on an acrylic skewer tonight and he wasn't even interested.

Today he gulped down a small minnow and two ghost shrimp. It happened so fast I didn't even get to get a video. Next time I'll be ready. Guess the little guy was hungry

Back
Top Bottom