Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

S/w fish keep dying

hey guys and girls im brand new to this forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place to post lol...... but i got a 29g s/w tank no coral just live rock....... I've had the tank running since Christmas ......got about 20lbs or rock and have two black clowns gobie grabs snails and a chac star...... i've tried to add a 6 line and with in a few days it died...... thought maybe the clowns got it or the crabs...... than i got a fire shrimp had it about a few weeks ...... within the 2nd day of it shedding it died........ as of today i had a beauty angel i think it was called.....had it about 4 days ,it was doing fine eating and all that swimming all around.....yesterday i noticed it was staying in a cave for a while and today when i was feeding it was going sideways ........ so i ended up taking it out...... please help me LOL the only fish that keep staying alive are the clowns!!!!!!!! help me PLEASE !!!!!!! THANKS

Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ammonia levels?
Nitrite levels?
Salinity levels?
And how are you testing the above?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i bring my water into the local fish store....and i test my salt water level at my house ..they keep saying my water is fine
Old 02-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanked84 View Post
i bring my water into the local fish store....and i test my salt water level at my house ..
I meant what instruments? For salinity do you have a hydrometer or a refractometer? What are the temps of the tank and how steady are they?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i have a hydrometer....the temp is steady 76
Old 02-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
i have a hydrometer....the temp is steady 76
Could be from bad readings of the hydrometer. Try to get all of the air bubbles out. Very hard to say with the little information you've provided though. Have you had your water tested recently by the store? I recommend you get your own test kit.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i bring my water into the local fish store....and i test my salt water level at my house ..they keep saying my water is fine
Don't trust "fine". Get numbers.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i make sure to get rid of the air bubbles ...... but i dont get why it wouldn't kill other fish besides my clowns and my chac star and everything else is ok
Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Different fish are sensitive to different things, especially when still acclimating to a new tank. I would review your acclimation procedures and get real numbers as to water quality to share with us. Don't add any more fish until you think you have the situation stabilized. We all lose occasional live stock for forces beyond our control, such as poor collection practices.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Did you cycle the tank? How are you acclimating the livestock to the setup? Inverts need a long drip acclimation time or they can be 'shocked' and cause death due to differing parameters from tank a to tank b.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, dieing, fish, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com