Sabae anemone advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markodeniro

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I bought a sebae anemone 2 weeks ago it is the usual white colour with hope that it's build its zooxanthelae but in the mean time I am trying to feed it frozen chopped mussel (only thing I have until I go to the Lfs) every other day I have since switched off one powerhead and he has come out to sit on the sand. It's basically sitting on its head with its foot in the air and hasn't stuck to anything. Should I be worried? I have led lights and various softies and blue clam. I have turned it over once before but it seems to want to go upside down. Is it trying to get rid of waste? Or do they just do this now and again?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A wandering/unsettled nem is not a good sign.
Needs to upright all the time unless just aiming somewhere else with its foot anchored.
If it hasn't anchored yet it has not found where it wants to be.
Also IMO it is not necessary to feed the nem.
For almost all the lighting is the most important source of 'food'.

Ok so cut feeding and turn him back over?

At least turn him over and place him on a rock. Feeding shouldn't be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do they like rocks more than sand?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443196199.620132.jpg here she is just turned up the right way the clowns hosted her within 10 minutes of her coming in

Get one of those tomato crate thingies Place it over him put him in 1 place , you may need to weight the crate so it don't float away leave him in it for a week unless he still didn't attach , also redirect the flow till he takes hold or he will drift all over
thats why it hasn't settled the clowns are trying to host it before it gets settled in , do the tomato crate thing like I said that should keep the clowns away for a little while

Last edited:
Just so you know they are very difficult to raise. Liveaquaria rates them in the category difficult. I`ve not known too many people that had them live longer than 6 months.

Do they like rocks more than sand?

Not sure. I've read either but since the sand hasn't worked try the base of a rock where it meets the sand or up on a rock.

So I turned it back over but it seemed to turn itself upside down over night stayed shrivelled up all day yesterday so I thought it was the best to get it out as its starting to go brownish grey colour..... Might have to try a bubble tip instead?

Until you can figure out what is going on, I wouldn't be trying to add any type of anemone to the system. What kind of lights are over the tank? What are the parameters in the system?
These guys are very sensitive, though some anemone are more hardy than others that doesn't mean one can be successful if you can't provide their needs.

I currently have a fluval sea marine and reef led 46w 145cm version. This is an upgrade from the standard 4x t5s that came with the tank 2 actinic and 2 white. Should I supplement this led with 2x t5 or upgrade entirely? Unless they are sufficient? My current params are
Temp 27c / 80f
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia nitrite nitrate all 0
Ph 8
Phosphate 0.25ppm
Calcium 440ppm
Kh 143.2ppm or 8dkh

Any ideas? Think it was just stressed with the clowns hassling it and it being fussy?

In my opinion you don't have sufficient lighting to keep a nem, and certainly not one on the sandbed. I keep a 120watt led unit over my 57gal and I think you'd find many run one 120 watt Chinese led unit for every 2-3ft of tank length.

Yeah good point checked the lumens and it isn't even enough as 4x t5's so I have ordered 2x 165w Chinese LEDs which I'll use as well as my fluval. I probably won't get a sebae again maybe a bubble tip?

Yeah good point checked the lumens and it isn't even enough as 4x t5's so I have ordered 2x 165w Chinese LEDs which I'll use as well as my fluval. I probably won't get a sebae again maybe a bubble tip?

Bubble tips are my favorite. Little hardier and with the color options you can't go wrong. I'm in the process of upgrading my nano cube light in order to make it a bubble tip/rock flower anemone tank. Some of the rainbow and forest fire (I think it's called) BTA are a site to see

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are going to run the Chinese units you will not need the fluval.

I fancy using it for the blues only at nighttime?

Back
Top Bottom