Sad day - Lost my first coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home one day last week and I noticed that my Green Open Brain polyps seperated from the skeleton. I freaked out and chech the water. Everything seemed great.

The odd thing was the polyp was still bright green and opened and closed with my lighting schedule like it was ok. I thought maybe that this was a weird growht phase.

Anyways, the polyp eventually turned on its side confirmed that there was no skeleton on it. I went to retrive the polyp and skeleton and whoa.....3-4 small brittle (fire?) worms where living in the skelleton.

:( :( :( :( :(

This coral was my first and I had him for almost a year. Grew quite big in my little tank and really was a crowd pleaser. Worse off, now I know that there are coral munchers breeding in my tank.

Anyways, I am planning an upgrade in Jamuary. I was going to transfer all my livestock and rocks to the new tank, but now, I may start from scratch.

Thanks

John

ACK! Sorry for your loss. Those bristleworms were probably just doing their janitorial duties.

Sorry for the loss. I agree w/ roka64 and ckmn101 about the bristle worms. More than likely they were just doing their jobs.

I have to agree with the majority. They were just doing their job. I`m sorry for your loss.

Thanks,

and good to know. But then I am left confused as to why the polyps seperated. The calcium was a little low at 380ppm. Maybe thats what casued it? My BTA is fine and healthy, so is my colt coral.

PC bulbs are 8 months old now? Could this be a contrubiting factor?

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

john0087 said:
The calcium was a little low at 380ppm. Maybe thats what casued it?

This did not cause it. I like for calcium to be around 400 -450 so your not much off IMO. Your lighting is maybe a month or two off from changing but I dont think it would cause that to happen to your brain coral. I`m kind of stumped also.

The calcium was a little low at 380ppm
Thats not low enough to cause a problem, actually it's really not low at all. That's close to or higher than NSW levels around reefs. Polyp separation, as you described, is usually caused by some stressful event. Whether it be poor water conditions, improper acclimation, or large temp. fluctuations, in most cases there is a notable cause. Have you had any "events" lately?

Back
Top Bottom