Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I read on yahoo that they are thinking about making it illegal to buy fish you can't breed in captivity

fish are friends not food

Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's retarded. When global impact is the reason reefs are dieing. All that's gonna do is put more people on the street.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i honestly believe we should not take another fish or coral out of the oceans. i think we should be able to keep the hobby going with what is in stores and in tanks right now. i think it would drive the prices up significantly, and make the hobby available to only rich folks, and people who do their research BEFORE a purchase. even though it seems to be a small part of the problem, i see these stock lists sent to my email every few days, and they definitely take a massive amount of fish and inverts from the oceans CONSTANTLY. it's got to come to an end soon.
speaking of impact, here is a piece of an actual email i just got tonight:

Dear Customer,

Australia will be cancelled this week due to shortage of corals. So the shipment has been postponed to 4/10/11 or until the supplier can have more corals.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There's so many videos like this.. It's really sad. My friend had an experience similar to this. She went scuba-diving somewhere, came back a few years later and it was pretty much gone. It inspired her to do a 4 year research project on coral bleaching and electromagnetic fields. It was very, very neat.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i honestly believe we should not take another fish or coral out of the oceans. i think we should be able to keep the hobby going with what is in stores and in tanks right now. i think it would drive the prices up significantly, and make the hobby available to only rich folks, and people who do their research BEFORE a purchase. even though it seems to be a small part of the problem, i see these stock lists sent to my email every few days, and they definitely take a massive amount of fish and inverts from the oceans CONSTANTLY. it's got to come to an end soon.
speaking of impact, here is a piece of an actual email i just got tonight:

Dear Customer,

Australia will be cancelled this week due to shortage of corals. So the shipment has been postponed to 4/10/11 or until the supplier can have more corals.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.
I totally agree with the coral part. Not so much the fish and invert part. Coral is required to house fish and inverts. It is to my belief that as long as the reef is intact, there has never been a problem with the population of fish and inverts
Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am an engineer with background in thermodynamics. Look into the ice core studies and other corresponding research before you discount man's role in climate change. I know Fox News doesn't agree with most scientific studies, but you might want to study it for yourself. As a diver for over 40 years and a avid coral grower in my home system, I can tell you the reefs are getting hosed. And it is our pollution that is the cause. Oil, CO2, phosphate and nitrate run offs, water temperature climbs and just plain sewage are killing the reef. No accident. But coral is very good at recovering, slowly, if we just get our act together as humans.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I am an engineer with background in thermodynamics. Look into the ice core studies and other corresponding research before you discount man's role in climate change. I know Fox News doesn't agree with most scientific studies, but you might want to study it for yourself. As a diver for over 40 years and a avid coral grower in my home system, I can tell you the reefs are getting hosed. And it is our pollution that is the cause. Oil, CO2, phosphate and nitrate run offs, water temperature climbs and just plain sewage are killing the reef. No accident. But coral is very good at recovering, slowly, if we just get our act together as humans.
I agree with everything you said well put I've never seen a whole news channel discount and laugh at scientific facts

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium
Old 04-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I still say I want to plant some frags down there.

fish are friends not food
Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

So do I. Wouldn't it be cool if the aquarium industry could give back by propagating frags by the thousands?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com