Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
sad stuff here...

YouTube - Reefer Sadness: VC2

Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Very Very Sad, people just don't understand or don't care

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very sad but it is recovering.

Phoenix Islands - National Geographic Magazine
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is indeed sad, I watched the other day a documentary about the rise of coral sales in the US that are not compliant with the rules to protect reefs...many new "shops" in the middle of streets in CA, where people are selling frags from corals caught in the wild...We must as hobbyists neglect the purchasing of illegally caught corals and report when their sale is unlawful
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I want to buy a bunch of corals and go plant them now. Who's with me?

fish are friends not food
Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The earth and the ocean are amazing things. To think that human caused global warming caused this is just ridiculous. to think that the human race can cause a drastic change to the earth is silly. people don't realize that the primary greenhouse gas is water vapor...not CO2. for them to hint that global warming caused the "small" spot of increased water temp in the pacific is absurd.

I agree that we should reef responsibly. I don't buy wild caught corals (most of the most beautiful corals are already maricultured or aquacultured).
Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My LFS sells 5+ generation corals and they grow them in a green house

fish are friends not food
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
The earth and the ocean are amazing things. To think that human caused global warming caused this is just ridiculous. to think that the human race can cause a drastic change to the earth is silly. people don't realize that the primary greenhouse gas is water vapor...not CO2. for them to hint that global warming caused the "small" spot of increased water temp in the pacific is absurd.

I agree that we should reef responsibly. I don't buy wild caught corals (most of the most beautiful corals are already maricultured or aquacultured).

The primary greenhouse gas isn't water vapor. Water vapor is generally constant so it can be disregarded in most scenarios. Additionally studies done on the contrails of jets have indicated that even slight increases of atmospheric water vapor in the form of even tiny clouds can reduce temperatures in a located region. The primary issue is methane gas and carbon dioxide. Both are important factors in anthropogenic global warming.

I don't think it's feasible to blame that local spike in temperature on global warming though. It seems to me (I am no climatologist though) like a freak spike in temperature. But it's also incorrect to blatantly deny the human impact on the global environment.

The effect of one person is insubstantial. The collective effects of over 6 billion people is incomprehensible.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefcowboy View Post
many new "shops" in the middle of streets in CA, where people are selling frags from corals caught in the wild
most, if not all LFS's and wholesale companies import and sell wild collected corals. they would never make a living otherwise. most of them ride on the "aquaculture" bandwagon, but in reality, order direct from the wholesalers as is the norm.
do you think someone is growing those large LPS and SPS colonies? how long do you think that would take?
actually, the only company i know of that allegedly doesn't sell wild pieces is ORA. they only sell little tiny frags for high prices. never giant colonies.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wonder how much impact all the newly founded radiation will have on the reef as well. I believe the hobby is coming to a halt in the coming years. I hope I'm incorrect

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com