Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-01-2004, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
saddle carpet anemone?

I was at a lfs the other day and saw they had 3 of these all atleast a 14 inch diameter if they were flat and hosting clownfish are these reefsafe, do they move much, will they eat slow movers? They also had rose anemones at $140 a pop I'll wait on the latter of these.

sw-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard they can be a little hit or miss in a reef. Mine that I have is about that big he moved around a little bit (like 6 inches or so) to finally settle on a spot he likes. He has been great for me and my clowns. I feed him Krill 2 or 3 times a week and other than that he seems like he is happy and not that aggressive. My clowns sleep in him everynight and my flame hangs out with them not in the anomone but very close with no problems. He seems real reef safe the only time he ever closes up is when one of my hermits decides to check him out he pulls away till it leaves or If I am watching the tank grab the hermit and move him away. I think he is a great tank addition (my favorite thing in there) Also from my reading he is besides the bubble tip one of the most adaptable to aquarium life. Just make sure you are getting the saddle as there are two kinds and the one wtih the longer tenticals requires tremendous light and is very hard to keep in captivity.

There are pics in my gallery although he is much greener now than when those pictures were taken.

Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Any anemone will move to find the spot in the tank that is "just right" for it's needs. S haddoni (pacific saddle anemone), will be happiest on the sand bed with it's foot buried in the sand. They prefer bright lighting and moderate waterflow. If it does get the wander lust, it is likely to sting and kill any other sessile invert it comes in contact with. These anemones are fish eaters and any slow moving fish or just stupid fish will make a meal for it pretty quick

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, carpet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com