saddle carpet anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at a lfs the other day and saw they had 3 of these all atleast a 14 inch diameter if they were flat and hosting clownfish are these reefsafe, do they move much, will they eat slow movers? They also had rose anemones at $140 a pop I'll wait on the latter of these.

I have heard they can be a little hit or miss in a reef. Mine that I have is about that big he moved around a little bit (like 6 inches or so) to finally settle on a spot he likes. He has been great for me and my clowns. I feed him Krill 2 or 3 times a week and other than that he seems like he is happy and not that aggressive. My clowns sleep in him everynight and my flame hangs out with them not in the anomone but very close with no problems. He seems real reef safe the only time he ever closes up is when one of my hermits decides to check him out he pulls away till it leaves or If I am watching the tank grab the hermit and move him away. I think he is a great tank addition (my favorite thing in there) Also from my reading he is besides the bubble tip one of the most adaptable to aquarium life. Just make sure you are getting the saddle as there are two kinds and the one wtih the longer tenticals requires tremendous light and is very hard to keep in captivity.

There are pics in my gallery although he is much greener now than when those pictures were taken.

Doan

Any anemone will move to find the spot in the tank that is "just right" for it's needs. S haddoni (pacific saddle anemone), will be happiest on the sand bed with it's foot buried in the sand. They prefer bright lighting and moderate waterflow. If it does get the wander lust, it is likely to sting and kill any other sessile invert it comes in contact with. These anemones are fish eaters and any slow moving fish or just stupid fish will make a meal for it pretty quick ;)

Back
Top Bottom