Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
'safe' anemone?

Just curious to see if anyone knew of any small species anemonies I could keep with other species of coral? Im unsure of the particular species at the LFS, but some were as cheap as $10. I think it would be neat to add one ( I have about 500 watts PC + MH lighting). But I heard most will move about the tank and sting other corals. Just curious to see what others have had success with in a reef tank, or do they truely have to be in a species tank?

Thanks for the help as always

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my pink tip hasent bothered anything. it has one spot that it sits in all day. dont know what the experts will say.. but mines doing fine

-Brad

Old 03-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Totally agree with the above....... I have a BTA and this went in first to establish it's favourite place, where it now stays. I has split into 4 but all have stayed in the area.......... if you get one then monitor it as it gets it's spot, as a question how many other corals do you have and are they all settled etc or can you adjust their position to accomodate the Nem?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I have my RBTA mixed with other corals, but I think all in all if you have a good amount of flow and good lighting which you have they should not move around as much. Most Anemone move around to find that right spot for current and flow to sit at. Main reason they move around if a tank has hardley no current. I've have mine for maybe a month or 2 and he's move once or twice but not very far i would say 5 or 6 inches away. But I hear of most just moving from one side of the tank to another over night. I would suggest getting one if you feel you have enough flow in your system and lighting. Or if you feel ready to have one just basically you preference on what you want to kepp... IMO...
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think you can pretty well sum it up that if your conditions are right your anenome will find a good spot and stay put. If not then it will keep moving around not finding that spot. It sounds like you have the lighting part covered. As long as you have some moderate flow areas you should be OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Great, thanks

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you are looking for interesting anemones and not ones for clowns to host in search for minicarpets and rock anemones. They come in some amazing colors and pretty much stay put. They do reproduce fairly well in the aquarium. I've been trying to get a few minicarpets for sometime. I just can't find the color I want.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com