'safe' anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just curious to see if anyone knew of any small species anemonies I could keep with other species of coral? Im unsure of the particular species at the LFS, but some were as cheap as $10. I think it would be neat to add one ( I have about 500 watts PC + MH lighting). But I heard most will move about the tank and sting other corals. Just curious to see what others have had success with in a reef tank, or do they truely have to be in a species tank?

Thanks for the help as always :)

my pink tip hasent bothered anything. it has one spot that it sits in all day. dont know what the experts will say.. but mines doing fine

-Brad

Totally agree with the above....... I have a BTA and this went in first to establish it's favourite place, where it now stays. I has split into 4 but all have stayed in the area.......... if you get one then monitor it as it gets it's spot, as a question how many other corals do you have and are they all settled etc or can you adjust their position to accomodate the Nem?

I have my RBTA mixed with other corals, but I think all in all if you have a good amount of flow and good lighting which you have they should not move around as much. Most Anemone move around to find that right spot for current and flow to sit at. Main reason they move around if a tank has hardley no current. I've have mine for maybe a month or 2 and he's move once or twice but not very far i would say 5 or 6 inches away. But I hear of most just moving from one side of the tank to another over night. I would suggest getting one if you feel you have enough flow in your system and lighting. Or if you feel ready to have one just basically you preference on what you want to kepp... IMO... (y)

I think you can pretty well sum it up that if your conditions are right your anenome will find a good spot and stay put. If not then it will keep moving around not finding that spot. It sounds like you have the lighting part covered. As long as you have some moderate flow areas you should be OK.

If you are looking for interesting anemones and not ones for clowns to host in search for minicarpets and rock anemones. They come in some amazing colors and pretty much stay put. They do reproduce fairly well in the aquarium. I've been trying to get a few minicarpets for sometime. I just can't find the color I want.

Back
Top Bottom