safe sand sifting gobies???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a black fin shrimp goby and he ate my skunk which is a BIG 'no no' so he is gone but I want a goby to sift my sand and keep it aerated that will not eat my clowns. I was wondering about Twinstripe sleeper gobies or yellow headed sleeper gobies.

I have a orange spotted Goby, sometimes referred to as a Diamond Goby, does a teriffic job of sifting the sand and is quite a pleasure to watch. He has not bothered the peppermint shrimp and gets along quite well with the wrasse, they are often found lying next to each other.

I would be careful with any sand sifting critters. They will need a rather large mature sandbed to stay alive for any extended period of time as some of them will not accept prepared food. They also eat beneficial organisms in the sand bed which can stip it of its usefullness over time.

I too once had a diamond gobi. no harm was ever done by him to other inhabitants. he was a real pleasure to watch, he actually made a home out of a large conch shell. he escavated out the sand from under the shell, piled it on top of the shell, and when the lights turned off he would dive in to the sand and sleep under the shell. the only thing that bothered me was that i had to dust off the LR everyday from all the sand he would sift onto it. other than that i loved my diamond gobi for the time that i had one.

Back
Top Bottom