Safe to Add Another Clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
For my last and final fish in my 29 gallon, I was thinking about adding another percula clownfish. The question is, I have a six line wrasse, purple firefish, and a percula already, so since I a percula already, will they fight if add a second one? So far all of my fish are very peaceful and get along great. If I add the second clownfish:

1. Does it have to be a Percula, or can it be another type clownfish?
2. Does it have to be larger, smaller, or the same size? (To Bond or be compatible)
3. Is it possible for the two to bond with eachother if I decide to go with another percula? If so, what size clownfish should I get in relevance to the one I have already which is on the larger size.

TIA............

I`m just wondering if you got a smaller one would they end up pairing up. I definitely would not get another type as your tank is too small and they would fight too much. I would either get a much smaller or much bigger in the hope that they would pair up.

ok, I guess im winding up getting another percula. Probably go with a small one as the one I have now is pretty big for the tank. How do you know if they pair up? I mean, most likely the fish will get along, but what are the signs of a successful pair?

Hosting a coral together, swimming around together and not killing each other.

Im glad this question has come up because I would like to get another myself. Anyone out there have success in adding a second clown and getting them to pair up? I would love to hear about it!

Definitely go with a smaller Percula if you get another clown. The one in your tank may have fully matured into a female. Two females are guaranteed to fight until one dies or is removed. Getting a small(approx. 1"-1.5"), young clown will assure it is either still sexually immature or male.

Im glad this question has come up because I would like to get another myself. Anyone out there have success in adding a second clown and getting them to pair up? I would love to hear about it!

When i add my second maroon clown they paired up in minutes but to some people i have heard it took forever so i guess it just depends on the fish...but all though they became a pair they have not bred which i am very disappointed because i really wanted to breed them to make extra cash to get me more corals.

but yeah definitely add a much smaller one...the one i had was about 3.5 inch and i added a 1 inch the reason getting a smaller one help is because it will automatically not want to even fight the bigger one because of the major size different.

to know that they are a pair its fairly easy they will sleep together swim together they will not fight not sure but my male tends to kiss my female a lot which is pretty cool.

Hope this was helpful to anyone.

Don't hope to make any money of little clown babies. By the time you deal with the feeding issues (rotifiers, etc), not to mention successfully having eggs hatch and seeing fish... well lets just say its very hard to do I hear.

Clownfish pairings can be quite tricky at times. The rule of thumb is adding a smaller clownfish of the same species; however, this can also depend on the size/growth of your initial resident and pertaining to gender. For example, Amphiprion percula, Percula anemonefish only achieve about 4" so if your clownfish was <2" then you could very well add another of the same size or smaller; There will be territorial aggression either way. If your clownfish was a full 4" then I would add a smaller of perhaps 2"-2.5". You would have to size up your animals or second addition appropriately in the store. A. percula can also be housed with A. ocellaris since they both interbreed. Premnas biaculeatus, Maroon anemonefish are a whole other story ime.

Just an FYI, a clownfish will not sex unless it has already changed by having another clown in the tank. The large one you have my still be unsexed so adding a smaller one should give you a better chance of the larger becoming the dominant female with the smaller of th tow the male. They may fight until one of them estabilishes their dominance.

If they are both unsexed, will they still fight?
I have two small clowns in my tank, they get along great... always together, and they sleep together. Wherever one goes, the other follows. But they're both only 1" or so.

Justin, your clowns have already paired up then.

Make sure when you add a new clown that isn't too much smaller because sometimes it backfires and the larger one that has already established itself in the aquarium might kill the newcomer. I've seen it happen both ways, when they pair up or they get killed. Most of the time also the fish that is introduced is sexless while the fish already in your home aquarium if they are there for a month are more, is likely to be a female.

Justin, just to answer your question, yes there will be a little "fighting" but qould subside once one is determined to be the dominant one.

Back
Top Bottom