Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Safe to Add Another Clownfish?

For my last and final fish in my 29 gallon, I was thinking about adding another percula clownfish. The question is, I have a six line wrasse, purple firefish, and a percula already, so since I a percula already, will they fight if add a second one? So far all of my fish are very peaceful and get along great. If I add the second clownfish:

1. Does it have to be a Percula, or can it be another type clownfish?
2. Does it have to be larger, smaller, or the same size? (To Bond or be compatible)
3. Is it possible for the two to bond with eachother if I decide to go with another percula? If so, what size clownfish should I get in relevance to the one I have already which is on the larger size.

TIA............

Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m just wondering if you got a smaller one would they end up pairing up. I definitely would not get another type as your tank is too small and they would fight too much. I would either get a much smaller or much bigger in the hope that they would pair up.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok, I guess im winding up getting another percula. Probably go with a small one as the one I have now is pretty big for the tank. How do you know if they pair up? I mean, most likely the fish will get along, but what are the signs of a successful pair?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Hosting a coral together, swimming around together and not killing each other.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Im glad this question has come up because I would like to get another myself. Anyone out there have success in adding a second clown and getting them to pair up? I would love to hear about it!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely go with a smaller Percula if you get another clown. The one in your tank may have fully matured into a female. Two females are guaranteed to fight until one dies or is removed. Getting a small(approx. 1"-1.5"), young clown will assure it is either still sexually immature or male.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Hosting a coral together, swimming around together and not killing each other.
LOL
That's darn near footer material there.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Im glad this question has come up because I would like to get another myself. Anyone out there have success in adding a second clown and getting them to pair up? I would love to hear about it!
When i add my second maroon clown they paired up in minutes but to some people i have heard it took forever so i guess it just depends on the fish...but all though they became a pair they have not bred which i am very disappointed because i really wanted to breed them to make extra cash to get me more corals.

but yeah definitely add a much smaller one...the one i had was about 3.5 inch and i added a 1 inch the reason getting a smaller one help is because it will automatically not want to even fight the bigger one because of the major size different.

to know that they are a pair its fairly easy they will sleep together swim together they will not fight not sure but my male tends to kiss my female a lot which is pretty cool.

Hope this was helpful to anyone.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Don't hope to make any money of little clown babies. By the time you deal with the feeding issues (rotifiers, etc), not to mention successfully having eggs hatch and seeing fish... well lets just say its very hard to do I hear.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Clownfish pairings can be quite tricky at times. The rule of thumb is adding a smaller clownfish of the same species; however, this can also depend on the size/growth of your initial resident and pertaining to gender. For example, Amphiprion percula, Percula anemonefish only achieve about 4" so if your clownfish was <2" then you could very well add another of the same size or smaller; There will be territorial aggression either way. If your clownfish was a full 4" then I would add a smaller of perhaps 2"-2.5". You would have to size up your animals or second addition appropriately in the store. A. percula can also be housed with A. ocellaris since they both interbreed. Premnas biaculeatus, Maroon anemonefish are a whole other story ime.

Tags
clown, clownfish, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com