Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do different macros do different things in terms of their reaction to the tank. Right now I am looking to get my nitrates down and reduce the amount of algae that is growing (hair). Would a specific macro have these features better than another? Do you think that something like this would be good for the substrate, or is it a waste.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113554

Also, wouldnt it make sense to add another five pounds of lr to the fuge to justify for the extra water being circulated? TIA........

Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

????

Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Some species of macroalgae grows quicker than others, therefore absorbs PO4/NO3 quicker. I don't really know which one is fastest at removing PO4 and NO3 but Chaeto is what most people use. I think it's because it doesn't crash like caulperia (sp?) and it doesn't take root into your LR.

Mineral mud is an optional substrate. It's usually used along with a thin layer of sand on top. It puffers iron, iodine, and other trace elements.

It is always a good idea to add as much LR as possible into your tanks to increase your filtration capacity. Just don't overdo it
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

In terms of adding lr, will that help bring the nitrates down, or is it used to keep up with ammonia and nitrite levels?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overdo it? Hah! I laugh in the face of overdoing live rock!
Seriously though...
If you're talking about what is marketed as Maiden's Hair in my area, (seeing as we all know names are abused in the pet trade) Maidens Hair does NOT do good in a high nitrate environment. Maidens Hair is a calcareous algae, fish won't graze it, it doesn't grow very fast, and it's pretty worthless for exportation of anything other than calcium. Same with shaving brush, mermaids fan/maidens fan, and that dollar shaped looking stuff (can't remember the name but it looks like a chain of coins). Caulerpa is fantastic at lowering trates and phosphates but it is dismal for water quality, because it constantly sheds noxious compounds and "greening" agents. If you use caulerpa, activated carbon is a MUST. And frequent trimming. Chaeto is good because it is generally, if properly illuminated, grows like a weed. And it makes a great home for pods. Gracilaria is good too, slower growing, but infinitely edible to most tangs and blennies.

It should also be pointed out, that if you're using a commercial hob fuge, more than likely it won't be big enough to do any real amount of nutrient export. The true purpose of a refugium is to give a safe place for pods to grow and breed. If you want to do nutrient export, you'll require a much larger refugium, preferably bare bottomed or with a 3 + inch deep sand bed of fine oolitic sand, and a powerful 6500 spectrum light. The other option would be a algal turf scrubber.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thaks for the well thought out reply. Its nice to see that some people take a lot of time to make replies that are well though out and helpful. Thats pretty much the answer I was looking for. Thanks once again.

Tags
algae, macro, macro algae, safe, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com