Safe to put macro algae in main tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently do not have a refuge, alhtough im waiting on one and was wondering if I could put some maidens hair in my tank. My LFS just picked some up and I was wondering if I should put it in. I need to lower my nitrates and pull some nutrients out of the water, as I have an algae problem. Is macro algae really only meant for a fuge or is it possible for the main tank? Also, can I have the lights off with the macro in the tank, or is it bad? TIA

If you put it in your display tank I would isolate it in the sand away from your main rock structure. Otherwise it may end up being a nuisance. Macro algaes can grow very quickly and aggressively, over taking everything in their path.
can I have the lights off with the macro in the tank, or is it bad?
As long as you provide ample time for "daylight" hours, it will be fine.
FWIW Caulerpa should be lit on a 24 hour schedule to avoid problems. HTH

I put chaeto in a clip to feed my grazers all of the time, but like MT79, I isolate it. I have seen so many times where it has taken over a tank.

MT is exactly right about the grape calerpa. It needs to be pruned regularly and lit 27/7. Most people keep it in a certain area as stated above it will overrun your tank.

Thanks, I think ill just wait to order the fuge, as I have enough on my plate to deal with right now. Is macro algae really that good in helping the removal of mico algae?

They compete for the same nutrients in the tank with the macro ussually winning

Ok, I just ordered the large aquafuge. Which macro should i go with, what substrate should I use, and how much large rock should I put into it. Also, can I put my heater, skimmer, and phos reactor in it? TIA

I dont have a reactor so I dont know about that but the others yes.I`ve only used grape calerpa. I`ve heard others say they`ve had problems with it but I`ve never had any. You have to run you fuge light 24/7 and keep it prunned back . I have three tangs that I feed mine to to keep it prunned back

I dont have a fuge but IMO, you shouldn't have your skimmer and reactor in ur fuge. They can deplete your free-swimming-pods population so not many pods will make it to the main tank.

I use Chaeto in my fuge with a shallow sand bed and a few pieces of rubble (just there until I frag againto "liven up", then I'll replace them with new dead rubble). My chaeto grows out of control. I got a sandwich bag full to start and now have probably a good freezer bag full even though I feed it often to my tank inhabitants.

Do different macros do different things in terms of their reaction to the tank. Right now I am looking to get my nitrates down and reduce the amount of algae that is growing (hair). Would a specific macro have these features better than another? Do you think that something like this would be good for the substrate, or is it a waste.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...Gen_Page-_-Substrates&subref=AA&N=2004+113554

Also, wouldnt it make sense to add another five pounds of lr to the fuge to justify for the extra water being circulated? TIA........

Some species of macroalgae grows quicker than others, therefore absorbs PO4/NO3 quicker. I don't really know which one is fastest at removing PO4 and NO3 but Chaeto is what most people use. I think it's because it doesn't crash like caulperia (sp?) and it doesn't take root into your LR.

Mineral mud is an optional substrate. It's usually used along with a thin layer of sand on top. It puffers iron, iodine, and other trace elements.

It is always a good idea to add as much LR as possible into your tanks to increase your filtration capacity. Just don't overdo it

In terms of adding lr, will that help bring the nitrates down, or is it used to keep up with ammonia and nitrite levels?

Overdo it? Hah! I laugh in the face of overdoing live rock!
Seriously though...
If you're talking about what is marketed as Maiden's Hair in my area, (seeing as we all know names are abused in the pet trade) Maidens Hair does NOT do good in a high nitrate environment. Maidens Hair is a calcareous algae, fish won't graze it, it doesn't grow very fast, and it's pretty worthless for exportation of anything other than calcium. Same with shaving brush, mermaids fan/maidens fan, and that dollar shaped looking stuff (can't remember the name but it looks like a chain of coins). Caulerpa is fantastic at lowering trates and phosphates but it is dismal for water quality, because it constantly sheds noxious compounds and "greening" agents. If you use caulerpa, activated carbon is a MUST. And frequent trimming. Chaeto is good because it is generally, if properly illuminated, grows like a weed. And it makes a great home for pods. Gracilaria is good too, slower growing, but infinitely edible to most tangs and blennies.

It should also be pointed out, that if you're using a commercial hob fuge, more than likely it won't be big enough to do any real amount of nutrient export. The true purpose of a refugium is to give a safe place for pods to grow and breed. If you want to do nutrient export, you'll require a much larger refugium, preferably bare bottomed or with a 3 + inch deep sand bed of fine oolitic sand, and a powerful 6500 spectrum light. The other option would be a algal turf scrubber.

Thaks for the well thought out reply. Its nice to see that some people take a lot of time to make replies that are well though out and helpful. Thats pretty much the answer I was looking for. Thanks once again.

Back
Top Bottom