Safest most effective Aptasia killer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkimball

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what my fellow reefers use as an effective Aptasia control, which is reef safe?

Thank you for any advice you could give me :)

Dawn

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've read a few reviews and would like to know experiences of others. According to the RedSea site, it's guaranteed reef safe and will not withdraw in on itself but reviews of the product on various other forums indicate it has killed off other corals and the aiptasia does withdraw in in itself. Also that it is effective on manjano anemones.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Ya if you drop it directly on to corals it can harm/kill them, but honestly as long as you have steady hands and approach/apply it to the nem slowly and evenly it works great. They'll usually close up in a ball on the syringe tip once you start injecting it, but I believe that's the way that Red Sea intends it as the nem is supposed to ingest it. Yes it will also work on majanos.

Ya if you drop it directly on to corals it can harm/kill them, but honestly as long as you have steady hands and approach/apply it to the nem slowly and evenly it works great. They'll usually close up in a ball on the syringe tip once you start injecting it, but I believe that's the way that Red Sea intends it as the nem is supposed to ingest it. Yes it will also work on majanos.

I've had aiptasia-x hit coral and get consumed by a bubble tip without issues...it wasn't happy, but easily recovered afterwards. That said, I wouldn't smother a bubble tip in the stuff.

I've had aiptasia-x hit coral and get consumed by a bubble tip without issues...it wasn't happy, but easily recovered afterwards. That said, I wouldn't smother a bubble tip in the stuff.

Good to know, I do know if you smother shrooms in it it works on them, used it to control there growth a few times.

I use kalkwasser paste. I have also injected the anemones with alkalinity solution which worked fine too. Both items are regularly used in reef settings, in an extremely dilluted state, but concentrated, will kill anything they touch. pick your poison ;)

Copperbanded butterfly works great and also a very amusing and friendly fish. Wiped out all aiptasia in my 220g tank in about a day.

Copperbanded butterfly works great and also a very amusing and friendly fish. Wiped out all aiptasia in my 220g tank in about a day.

I have to disagree. It's hit or miss whether it will ever eat aptasia, and it's also highly unlikely it will take to prepared foods. Most of these fish starve to death in closed systems. Success stories are few and far between.

That is a good point if you don't have an established or larger system. I've had my reef tank for about three years and have had a butterfly fish for about two years with no problems. He readily adapted to frozen mysis shrimp.

Safest way would be to pull the rock out and chisel off the part of rock its attached to. Take it outside and grind it into the sidewalk with your shoe. :)

That is a good point if you don't have an established or larger system. I've had my reef tank for about three years and have had a butterfly fish for about two years with no problems. He readily adapted to frozen mysis shrimp.

Actually, whether you have a large established system or not, it's still hit or miss. More of these fish die in captivity than live.

Peppermint shrimp got rid of mine in one day. They still hang out and sweep up at night.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom